cetol removal

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky

What is the best way to remove cetol dripped on fiberglass?

Al
c34 hull #13

Jeff Kaplan

lucky, try either acetone or mineral spirits. if it's already dried, use acetone, if you are working and drip some, mineral spirits work fine...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

I agree.  And after it dries, we've been successful in using a small screwdirver to scrape it off from crevices and over brushing on both flat and non-skid areas in small spots.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

As you have found out, Cetal is a bear to remove after it dries. You might try a hard toothpick. It will not damage the Gelcoat Good luck
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron Hill

Al : I've use the acetone as mentioned, but let a wet rag with acetone sit on top of the spill and it will soften up so you can remove it easier.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Use M.E.K. instead of acetone; it's pretty much the same as acetone, but it's got spirits in it that halves the evaporation rate, so it works better and it's easier to apply.  Available at any hardware store.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Al : I have all three on board - laquer thinner, MEK & acetone.  I've found that acetone works the best for me  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I've found acetone and M.E.K. to be equally efficacious in removing poly-based coatings, but with acetone you have to dump a lot on because it evaporates so quickly.  I prefer M.E.K. because it's so much easier to work with, and you can work more slowly and, therefore, more carefully. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

crieders

Don't believe any of these posts. You are screwed. I have done it and over the years it will come off but the chemicals recommended will damage the fiberglass. If its only a little bit, don't worry about it; the years will fade it. UV is the best remover. Sorry.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jeff Kaplan

al, the little bit of acetone that you will use will not affect the fiberglass. it evaporates so quickly no harm will be done. after you clean the area, just wipe down with water...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Clay Greene

I used Interlux Fiberglass Solvent Wash and it did a good job of taking up spills on flat surfaces.  I applied it with a toothbrush and scrubbed.  In the non-skid, I first used a toothpick to pull up the Cetol in the crevices and then followed up with the FSW. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

jmnpe

I have had good luck with some of the Island Girl products [ www.islandgirlproducts.com ] for a variety of cleaning and restoration projects on fiberglass and vinyl. For tough stuff like 3M 5200 and Cetol, I would use the Neutral cleaner since it is a more potent cleaner that the Pink. The Island Girl cleaners will basically remove anything from gel coat that has not chemically combined with the gel coat. It will do no harm to your gel coat! You can call Jim at Island Girl and see what he recommends procedurally.

Good luck.

John
1988 hull no. 728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728