Napa Fan Belt

Previous topic - Next topic

billhatter

I'm hoping to go by NAPA to pick up a spare fan belt for my Catalina. 86 vintage with 25 XP engine.  Anyone have the parts # for a NAPA fan belt? 

Also looking to replace my radiator cap rated at 13lbs.  Does NAPA have something like that OR can I find it at a Kubota dealer?

Thanks for your help.
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Stu Jackson

Bill

The belts are: Gates 7400  11A1015 (Goodyear  15406  11AV1015)

We have 3/8" belts with our new alternator (100A) from Blue Circle.

All you have to do is match the belt with those numbers.  You could also get wider 7/16" belts.  The 7400 is the length.  They're longer than the standard 7390s.  Take your old belt with you to the store.

Take your radiator cap with you, too, it'll be less expensive if Napa can match it, if not buy from a Kubota dealer.  You can find those dealers by doing a search on "Kubota dealer" for threads previously listing sources here on the MB.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Bill - I replaced my radiator cap with a generic cap from NAPA for $5-6, it's not something special that requires an OEM replacement. It's probably a reasonable thing to replace with the belt every 5-6 years. My cap seemed to be holding pressure ok, but the "outer" seal was leaking and keeping fluid from getting directed to the overflow tank.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Bill,

I forgot two things

1.  See FAQs (with your older boat they are VERY valuable troves of information) and this post:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-which-size-drive-belt.html

2.  When you find the Napa belt, let us know.  (I tried with them a few years ago and couldn't find a good match, did with Gates belts at a local auto store - not a chain store).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

billhatter

Thanks gentlemen, I'll check it out and let you know.

Bill Hatter
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Craig Illman

I finally remembered I took a picture.

Ron Hill

Bill : I don't know what alternator (pulley size and alternator placement) you have so I can't give you a size (length) 3/8" belt to purchase.  (I believe that the OEM alternator required a 39.5" belt while Hi -  output alternators need a 40.0 - 40.5 " belt)

Here's what I'd do - Take the old belt off the engine and take it to the NAPA store.  Most auto stores have a tool that will measure the length of the old belt.  Then and only then will you know the correct length to get (unless it markings are still on the old belt?).

I'd stick with a good grade belt (Gates is one of the better brands), but get one that had "ribs" on it -either inside or top side.  They are important because they are cooling ribs and help extend the life of the belt . Don't use "belt grip" either.  
A few thoughts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788