Mast wiring?

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

I'm looking at replacing the mast wiring and from the mast step to the panel. I was thinking of keeping the same wiring approach but with 14awg wire, that is three positive and one common ground/neg.

I know that a ground/neg run for each light is probably better, but is it required to meet new standards?

I'm looking to order some wire and was going to get "single wires". If this does not meet standards, then will change to order "dual wire".

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Jon Schneider

12 awg would be a better choice (get it from bestboatwire.com), but there's absolutely no reason not to use one common ground inside the boat, since it's unlikely that you'll run even two of the lights at any one time.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

BillG

i believe that Nigel Calder in his book recommends a separate ground for each run whenever possible.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

We had to replace our combo steaming/deck light recently, so I did an investigation of the original wiring that was installed on our boat.  It was lamp wire, which is a bummer.  It was in the conduit, a good thing (our anchor wire had been installed outside the conduit by the factory or by the PO if he replaced the anchor light wiring, which created mast slap you just wouldn't believe - we fixed that when we redid the standing rigging about four years ago.

Anyway, the wiring configuration was this:

1.  Triplex wire to the steaming/deck light, one ground, two positives - one each for the deck light and the steaming light

2.  Duplex wire to the anchor light, one ground, one positive

3.  The grounds were connected at the base of the mast and four wires were run back to the DC panel: the three positives and the combined now single ground

Based on our experience with the limited amount of space at the point where  the wiring exits the mast behind the steaming light, it seemed that it would be very difficult to intercept a single ground wire serving both the anchor and steaming/deck lights.  It would be much easier to insert a triplex to replace the steaming/deck light wiring than trying to get the single ground fished through somehow.

I recommend setting it up with separate ground wires up the mast.

There is no reason to not combine the grounds from the base of the mast to the panel.  Regarding the wire sizing, do the math based on the 3% voltage drop tables and figure it out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I would go with a common ground.  Less hassle and easier to trouble shoot.  If one light out it's the bulb or the positive wire; if all lights out it's the ground.  Just my $.02...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447