Starter Fuse maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

As was written here previously, there's an in-line fuse between the wiring harness and the starter (yellow with red wire on my boat).  It's connected to the starter via a female disconnect clip.  Today after starting immediately after sitting all winter I tried to restart the engine but nothing happened when I hit the starter button.  I dug around and found the in-line fuse and it was good.  I cleaned the connectors still with no luck.  I replaced the entire fuse holder with a waterproof one with enough length to improve access and it started right up.

The fuse is a pain to get to as its hidden between the starter and alternator.  You can't work on it with the engine hot because it's under the exhaust manifold.  Preventative maintenance should include inspecting and cleaning if not replacing the fuse holder.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

Kyle : You just discovered why that 20amp fuse (to the starter solenoid) has been written up numerous times starting back in the early 1990s !!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Kyle, do you recall what size fuse you have?  Mine's only 10 amp, which, given the size of the wire probably makes sense.  I've never had a problem, but I wonder if (when) it blows I should replace it with #30.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Kyle Ewing

Mine was 20 amp, which surprised me because I was expecting 30 amp.  The fuse holder is rated for 30 amp.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jon Schneider

The fuse holder rating doesn't matter; that's just the max it can handle.  I have to look at the wire on my boat again, but my recollection is that it was pretty small, no bigger than 14 awg.  I guess that could take 30 amp, but I'm not sure what the appropriate size is. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that the wiring diagram in your engine owners manual calls for a 20amp fuse !!   
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Actually, the manual indicates a 20 amp fuse.  There's a 30 amp fuse indicated on the panel (new panels have breakers).
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

I started with a 10, it blew, increased to 15, it worked.  I also relocated the stupid thing to a place that I can reach.  A little extra wire goes a long way...it's now on the port side of the engine compartment, level with the top of the alternator, and slightly aft of it.  Simple...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."