keel bolts and keel crack.

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

I searched and found a few threads, but I can't seem to find the project that Ron makes reference to.

My problem started with finding a crack on the aft end of the keel thatwas weeping. I finally the bilge completely dry and the weeping started to dry up. Today I was cleaning up and some water got in the rear part and I noticed the weeping was back. At the same time I've been getting water "climb" up the forward keel bold (the boat is leaning down a little at forward end). It has not been raining for over a week and there is still water climbing up.

So today I started to remove the nuts from some of the keel bolts. The nuts came of relatively easy, but everything below is sealed tight. What does 5200 dried up look like (hard as rock)?

I started with three bolts. I freed up the lock washers and cleaned up to what looks like washers. If these washers are meant to be removed in order to properly reseal, then I have some work ahead of me. I'll take some pictures tomorrow to give better idea of my problem and get suggestions.

I know the leaks won't sink the boat, since the bilge stayed full of water, so I'm assuming the leak in will be slow.

Another thing is that the furthest back bolt is impossible to get to. The starboard bolt of the furthest "pair" is also slightly under the floor and could not get socket completely on. Anybody else have this problem?

Comments, pictures, suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to run out of time before launch gets here...
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

tonywright

Pierre, did you search for the "Catalina smile"?  Those threads will tell you that you need to torque all keel bolts to 105-107 ft lbs. Put some 5200 under each washer before doing so.  You will need to properly tighten each bolt before you launch. The bilge needs to be dry for the 5200 to work.

Where is the water in your bilge coming from? Is your mast up?   Sometimes water leaks from tanks if the hoses aren't tight. Is there any water in your tanks? (presumably not, if you properly winterized the boat).

Wondering why you are tilted forward on the hard. All the C34's in our club tilt at. This is a function of the wing keel. When the keel is supported along its length,the boat will tilt slightly aft. This helps drainage if it rains when the cover is off. Maybe yours isn't a wing keel?

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

pjcomeau

The water is definetely coming from the keel. everything else has been dried out for days. What have people done to release the washers that are already fastened in with 5200.

With a fin keel the boat leans forward (at least to have bottom of keel flat).

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : It sounds as though your wooden keel sole under the mast step may have water in it.  I'd advise you to contact the factory and get some professional advice. 
I wrote an article on this way back in 97/98 and I believe that the factory stopped using the wooden keel sole with hull #770. 
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

My mistake, sorry. I would follow Ron's advice.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada