Cabin cushion foam

Previous topic - Next topic

DougP

Anyone ever replaced the foam in the salon cushions? My fabric is great, but the foam is really broken down. This is especially true of the dinette.

If anyone has replaced the foam I'd love to get a rough idea of price before I start hauling cushions around or waste someone's time coming to the boat.

Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

waterdog

I was stunned by the price of foam.   Bought from a specialty foam supplier.   I forget what it was exactly, but the two inboard cushions on the dinette were over $100.   I just added a six inch wide strip of 1" foam on the edge of the other cushions which weren't as far gone.  Definitely want to get some quotes before you go ahead.  You'll also want new polyester material and spray adhesive glue to wrap the polyester. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ray & Sandy Erps

Is the polyester material that white batting stuff around the cushion?  If so, what's that for, chafe protection for the foam?
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

waterdog

Nobody knows what it's for.   Upholsterers have been using it for thousands of years.   It's just done.  Never questioned.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jack Hutteball

When we had some cushions reupholstered, it was explained that the "batting" was used to round out the cushions as the foam alone results in a more square shape.  Seemed reasonable.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stephen Butler

This response may only work in California, but try the fabric store chain JoAnne if the chain is there.  They are having a 50% sale on foam here.   Very good pricing.  As for the batting, this stuff is really expensive here....$21 for a 22" x 22" x 4"  Hope this is of some help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jack Hutteball

Just a note, when I replaced a cushion in our 27' boat after about 15 years, I found that there are several different grades of foam (density).  You probably do not want the cheapest, least dense foam.  Not enough support and it will wear out quicker.  Try sitting or laying on it at the foam shop.  You will see the difference.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

jmnpe

My own experience with salon cushions is that for the areas that get heavy use, you are much better off to use the high density foam selection out of the usual low/medium/hi selections. It may seem a little hard when you first get them back on the boat, but they do relax some after usage, and you won't have butt prints in your cushions after a couple of years.

Just a thought.

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Phil Spicer

My wife & I started to re-do all of the cushions on our boat last winter. We used rochfordsupply.com for our foam. You can get a sample pack & see the difference in density. My wife is at Jo-Anne fabric about 4 times a week & she said their foam would not hold up on the boat. One to three seasons for sleeping, but only one or two seasons in the main cabin. It could be worth looking at their site or give them a call, they are very helpfull.This summer we will use rochford to get fabric for a new winter cover.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

lazybone

Phil,
I'm looking to do the same for the main cabin cushions and was wondering what density you would recommend ordering from Rochford.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Phil Spicer

I'll try to find my notes. Used different foam for the seats & seat backs. Backs are softer. Also made my side of the "v" softer than the side for my wife. Will check  for notes soon.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Found my notes ! I used 33194 for the seat bottom & added a 4" or 5" wide piece of 33191 across the front edge to make the thicker part. Cut most foam with an electric knife.Cut the front & back of the 1" piece at 45 degrees. Then a layer of new batting. It look good. I will try to get a picture for you soon.  For the seat backs I...WE used 20244. What you use for the seat bottom will be too stiff to compress when you lean back.
I made a 30" saw with a tilting table so I could cut the taper on the seat backs. Don't like the mess so  will try cutting wedges from 4" foam & glue the pieces together. The glue works fine. You don't feel the seams. That's what we did but you may want to use something more soft or firm. This is a personal choice. You may want to call JSI in Florida. They may still make some of the cushions for Catalina.