Boom track/outhaul cars challenge

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

Here's the challenge: I want to significantly improve the outhaul action.  I've already replaced the sheaves and upped the purchase of the internal blocks to 5:1 (should've done much more), but let's face it, trying to tension the main foot while dragging delrin slugs through the boom is pretty inefficient.  Ideally, I'd love to have cars on rollers like they make for Isomat spars (pictured), but the wheels are too large for our tracks.  The other possibility is to use something like a Tides Marine sail track that would ride on top of the boom.  Other possibilities?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Not too sure why you want to do that?? 
Without a roller furling main, I tension the out haul on the main when I put it on in the spring and release the tension when I take the sail off in the fall ????
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Hmmm... I de-tension the main's foot on a run and highly tension it on a beat in fresh to strong breezes.  I always slacken it at the end of the day, just as I do the jib halyard, to minimize permanent stretching.  It's just another control, and it's vital, along with the halyard, to positioning the draft.  It's easy to de-tension it, but it's pretty near impossible on a beat in strong breeze to re-tension it even though I've run it back to the cockpit and a winch.  I have a closed-foot main, which makes it much more difficult. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

rirvine

My solution was to add an additional 6:1 system to the end of outhaul control line where it exits the boom at the gooseneck (on a Mark II). This is run back to cockpit so the outhaul can be adjusted without going forward.   With this amount of purchase, the outhaul can be adjusted on any point of sail without easing the mainsheet - even hard on the wind.

Ray

Rick Johnson

I'm with Ron on this one!  Then again, maybe this is why I always lose races????

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Rick Johnson on April 11, 2008, 07:14:35 PM
I'm with Ron on this one!  Then again, maybe this is why I always lose races????

I don't win them either, so I don't think the outhaul is the most vital key to success ;)  (But it does make a difference; try it.)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Tom Soko

Jon,
How about making the main loose-footed?  Simply cut off the delrin slugs, or maybe cut off every other one??  Just a thought.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Jon Schneider

Tom - That's heresy!  I get at least an extra 100th of a knot out of that closed foot ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Guys : I'm getting ready to splash APACHE for it's 21st season on Thursday. 
When I put on the sails I plan on using Jon's "secret formula" for the main's outhaul.  It will be tensioned to exactly 97.4625 ft lbs of torque.   :rolling
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Okay, but don't blame me if you bend your boom  :cry4`

BTW, Ron, why do you only address "guys" in your posts?   :think
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Guess I have been remiss and should really address -- Guys & Gals.  However, I use "GUYS" with out reference to gender!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788