Aft water tank and Lewmar windows

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

My starboard tank has an access port to clean the tank which is real dirty. Does the aft tank and where is it?
What Lewmar windows do we have? And can the cheesey inside plastic be replaced easily?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, the manuals show the location of the aft tank, page 38 of this:  http://www.c34.org/manuals/1988/1988-C34-Owners.pdf  You'll have to go look at yours to see if it does and where it is.  I suggest checking the strainer on the inlet to the fresh water pump, under the galley sink.

I don't have Lewmar portlights on our boat, can't help you there, but I'll bet a search would turn up some very interesting material for you, such as the size, which changed over the years.  Of course replacement parts are available from the manufacturer or other sources.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Cliff,

My aft water tank has no access port, but I would think you could add one.  The portlights (Thanks Jon for the correct info) are the Old Standard size 1.  The plastic trim rings are available from Catalina Direct, but due to the cost I decided to go with the bare aluminum frames.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jon Schneider

Cliff, your water tank likely does not have an inspection port unless a PO installed it.  I ordered a 6" one from Ronco (www.ronco-plastics.com), the tank manufacturer... real nice people.  If you don't go that route (or even if you do), you might try a dry hydrogen peroxide rinse (you can get this from many different chemical suppliers; it's essentially Oxyclean without the added soap and perfume).  Dump the powder in (a couple of pounds worth at least); fill the tank with cool water; let it sit for four or five hours, and then empty and rinse again. If the boat's in the water, take it out and try to rock it as much as possible to swish the hydrogenated water around.  It'll do wonders for you bilge as well!

Your Lewmar hatches in the main salon and v-berth are the "old style standards" size #1.  I replaced the lenses this year.  What a difference.  It's a new boat.  I'm going to replace the deadlights next.  I'm not sure if the aft berth portlights are Bomar or Lewmar; can't help you there, but who cares about them... it's not like you'd get a great view unless one of your passengers has absolutely terrific ankles ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Cliff : You probably do not have a 4" cleanout on your aft tank (wasn't installed by the factory).  You don't need one as the aft tank drain is on the fwd bottom of the tank so that tank will completely empty and dry out!!
As far as the Lewmar hatches they are size #1 and Lewmar does not have "trim rings" anymore - someone mentioned Catalina Direct, so try them.  Others have made Teak trim rings.

The aft cabin hatches are Bomar and are still in production. 
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Thanks for the suggestions. How is that tank drain accessed?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jon Schneider

Quote from: crieders on April 09, 2008, 06:56:41 PM
How is that tank drain accessed?

You won't actually need to access it from the tank end; just disconnect the hose going into the cut-off valve in the galley.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Jim Price

Jon, concerning your dry hydrogen peroxide rinse.  Other than the cleaning porcess, how much rinsing etc to get any taste out of the new water?  I have used a small amount of bleach in the tank before and had to do at least a couple of fill and rinses to remove the "taste".  Tha is a lot of water down the drian.  Plus the time to do it.  Your thoughts.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jon Schneider

You don't actually need to rinse this stuff out at all... hydrogen peroxide evaporates (technically reacts so that it mixes its component atoms into the atmosphere), but that's why it's important to use pure grade material.  I think if you used Oxiclean, you'd find other cr@p as a residue.  There is no aftertaste from this treatment.  I rinse once, because I like to make things a little more difficult than they need to be  :?
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Jon Schneider

Actually, let me be a little more clear about this substance that I'm recommending.  It's called Sodium Percarbonate, and as a dry agent, it is actually a combination with hydrogen peroxide, and releases H2O2 just as the liquid form of hydrogen peroxide does.  I bought about eight 2 lb containers from The Chemistry Store last  year (http://www.chemistrystore.com/Sodium_Percarbonate_Uses.htm#Camping), and I think I used either two or three containers when I cleaned the tank.  According to the page I referenced above, it does seem the reaction leaves a residue of ash (white in color).  I did notice this when I used the treatment last year, but at the time I thought that it must have just "bleached" (or perhaps "blanched" would be the better word) the cr@p that was already in the tank. It was probably a little bit of both.   
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Jon, do you need to dissolve it in a bucket of water before you put it in and do you get the bubbling action like you do when you put hydrogen peroxide on cuts.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jon Schneider

I may be operating above my pay grade here, but, no, I don't dissolve it before adding it to the tank.  Just dump it in through the port on the forward tank.  I then mixed it up.  You could pour it in through the fill hole on the coaming for the aft tank while spraying water down.  I can't remember if there was any significant bubbling action, although I may have had a beer in my hand at the time, so I think there was some bubbling going on somewhere ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Steve Sayian

Jon,

So after you clean the tanks w/this you can drink the water from them?

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Jon Schneider

From what I understand, yes.  For full disclosure, though, I add a little bleach to keep the water somewhat pure (about a week after I've rinsed once), and I never drink from it.  Never have; never will.  I carry gallons of water aboard for drinking.  I don't have any fear of drinking out of the tanks as a result of this treatment, but I just don't trust the handling of these tanks by two POs, nor do I trust the water at my marina.  Also, I prefer Anchor Steam to plain water ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Jim Price

As an aside, I have always mounted the latest and greatest filter on my faucet head and I do drink the water from the tanks - we have clean city water at our marina.  But I still like to periodiaclly  clean the tanks as they are only full for short period of time and there is always oxigen at top of tanks and that can lead to unplesent things.

I have order some o fthe good stuff so we will see.  Makes sence to me.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA