Solar Stick

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

Hi guys....I'm looking to find info on "solar stick"...if I recall right... but it might have another similar name.  I saw an add of this product but do you think that I can find it!!!! or even remember the right name.  I've goggled a lot but I did find just about everthing on the market concerning solar captor...but not what I'm looking for.
Basically it's a solar panel mounted on a post that you would attach to the transom.  The nice thing about it it's that it's over on the stern so it's not in any shaded or obstructing in any way the sailling and you can turn it or angled it to your liking...or should I day to the sun's liking.
I don't want to install panels on the "roof" of the dodger as we do like to open her up now and then.

Also, if any of you did install one I'd like to hear comments as the kit sell for close to 5,000$ so I don't want to spend money for nothings

Regards and thanks
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Stu Jackson

Serge, try there:  http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail.htm?fno=20&group=940

One of the contributors to catalinaowners.com or sailboatowners.com "invented
this on his cruise to the Bahamas with his girlfriend on a 25 foot Hunter or Beneteau.

Don't know anyone who has one.  My impressions:  good idea, nice package, plug & play, maybe something that could be cobbled together by someone who is handy, a great idea for someone who wants a prefabricated stick to perform lots of functions, could just as well hand solar panels on the side or atop a bimini, somewhat but not prohibitively expensive, need to see if it "fits" our your boat - scale, location, etc.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Momentum M

Thanks you Stu...as usual your very helpfull.  It's exactly what I had seen so know I'll investigate and if I go through with it I'll keep you guys informed.  It might be a project for next fall as I will put the boat on hard..but right now my mind is more on launching as soon as the snow/ice melt away...witch should be soon I hope

Thanks again :clap
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Ron Hill

Serge : I'm not familiar with your "solar stick", but you might look at the solar panels that attach to the life lines and can be raised or placed down vertical (when not in use). 
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Thank you Ron....this is another avenue that I didn't know about so I'll also investigate.  Do you have any info such as a name, manufacturer or web link.  If not...I'll see what goggle comes up with.

Your input is much appreciated and thank you in advanced.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Ray & Sandy Erps

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jim Price

Just happened to open the 2008 West Marine catalog and on page 383 they have the Solar Stik System listed with all the extras you could ever want to buy.

Just another source.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Allan.SVCarina

Very lengthy discussion at Seven Seas Cruising Association you may want to check out as well.

http://ssca.org/DiscBoard/viewtopic.php?t=2276
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)