Hull Striping Tape

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtydirt

Need to replace vinyl strip on hull.  1996  Even faded it looks like an aqua color 1" tape above the royal blue tape.
suggestions appreciated. I'm in Mass.  4 more weeks!!!!!!

Steve Sayian

Kurt,

Contact Eastern Yacht Sales in Hingham, MA at 781-749-8600.  They are a Catalina dealer and should be able to steer you in the right direction to get the correct color tape.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

dirtydirt

Thanks Steve.  right down the street.  Never even thought of them.

Ron Hill

Dirt : You might also call Catalina Parts.  They were the ones that put on the original stripes! 
Ron, Apache #788

foursailing

Dirt - I replaced mine last year.  Purchased from Catalina as Ron suggested.  I upgraded to the blue and silver stripes and it came out nice.  Don't worry about the small bubbles that will be impossible to remove - they will disapear in a couple of weeks in the sun.

Challenge will be removing the old stuff - use a blow dryer at low setting.

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Roc

On a 23' boat I owned in the mid-late 90's, I replaced the sheer stripe tape.  Believe it or not, I bought the royal blue stripe tape sold at West Marine.  Comes in different widths.  I had the boat for 5 years and when I sold it, the stripes I did looked like they were just applied.  You might want to cost that out. I initially contacted the boat manufacturer (Precision) and the OEM stripes where very expensive.  The tape at WM was a fraction of the cost.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

tonywright

I changed the striping on my last boat, and had it professionally installed (I did the removal with a hairdryer: you don't want to overheat gelcoat/fibreglass, so don't be tempted to use a heat gun). Then used colour-restorer and polish. A local guy does the cityfiretrucks etc with 3M tape, and he did a great job of getting it perfectly stright with no bubbles.

To get the colour and size I wanted, I took a digital photo, and then used Photoshop to try out different combinations, until we liked what we saw. Worked out really well.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada