aft cabin leak

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

I tracking a number of leaks (new or developed this winter. It was a bad winter here).

First leak seems to come from the steering pedestal base (access box in aft cabin). How is this fixed (just at the access box or at the pedestal...)?

The second is from the hose/stanchion vent to the holding tank. What a place for a leak (near all electrical). I'm assuming the stanchion needs re-bedding (unless the it come through the hose that over winter???).

There seems to be a couple more. I think they are from the chainplates...

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Jeff Kaplan

pierre, i experienced the same thing in both mentioned locations. the proper way to seal everything up is to remove and rebed. if you don't want to remove the steering pedestal,  you can cheat a little and just put a bead of silicone around the base and the support legs and that will stop most of the leaking. as far as the vent/stanchion post leaking, definitely remove the post, clean and rebed. also check the deck under the post for rot.  i removed  the vent hose and relocated it to a deck vent covered by a clam shell when i replaced the sanitation system and installed a larger vent hose. others have rerouted thru the side of the hull. i'm going to hopefully start working on the boat this weekend. it's been very cold here also. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Pierre

Pity, but that stuff does happen.

Chainplates?  Go to the Projects page (click on C34 Projects at the top of this page) second or third article down.  More than you'd ever want to know and one of the best writeups I've ever seen.

Stanchions?  Use the search box, type the word in and read away.  Many suggestions over the years.  That stanchion AND the one on the starboard side, have the vent hoses from the holding tank and the starboard water tank.  There is 120 V electricity on the starboard side in the outlet box in the galley.  Be careful of both.

If you're going to do the pedestal base, do it right.  Take off the cover underneath and back off the bolts, lift it, seal it and replace.  Usually doing around the outsides will work for a short term fix, but why not do it right?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kelley Dean

Last spring I had the same leak. Mine came from the screws at the base of the pedestal guard which are just screwed into the deck. Removed and sealed with polysulfide.
Kelley Dean

Andiamo #726
Narragansett Bay
Warwick, RI

Ron Hill

Pierre : The stanchion fix has been post and written up a number of times. 
Be prepared to remove the stanchion, check the hole as Jeff mentioned and maybe fill it with epoxy and redrill it out. 
Then you can rebed it with polysulfide.  You'll have to let it dry and cure a day or two before you crank it down tight or the caulk will squirt out! 
Ron, Apache #788