Holding spreader boots in place

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

I always thought the best way to hold spreader boots in place was rigging tape. Last year proved me wrong. On a brisk day sail one came off as I tacked. It landed on the deck. Lucky, I thought!  Later the other one came off with a splash overboard when I tacked the other way. Not so lucky, I thought.

So as the ice and several feet of snow slowly melt, and thoughts turn to getting ready for launch and re-stepping the mast, I wonder what method is best to make sure my nice shiny new spreader boots don't come off, but look seamanlike. No info easily available on this, so here's the question: what do you find works best? I have tried rigging tape, but am thinking of white electrical tape (messy, and hard to remove when necessary), or waxed twine, or .... any suggestions?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jim Price

Not exactly sure if your boots are same style as mine but I use UV protected plastic cable ties - the ones with the one way slip lock.  I have had them on for at lest 3-4 years now.  The ones I replaced were just regular cable ties and had been on boat about 8 years or more.  And the boat is in GA so we get plenty of heat and UV.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Tony : For the past 30 years here's what I've done"
Take some light nylon line and make 3 or more turns around the boot to the spreader and the boot top & bottom to the shroud.  Tie each with a square knot and leave a 1/2 to 1 inch tail.  Then take white "liquid whip" and paint it on to the knot and tails. 
Like I said it's worked perfectly for over 30 years and have never had one come loose or be flapping in the breeze!!
Ron, Apache #788