Glow Plug Solenoid

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

This is an unabashed endorsement of Ron Hill's glow plug solenoid write-up (http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-glowplugs.html).  Granted, I made a lot of changes to my 12v system over the winter "break," including installing an AGM (Optima) starting battery under the aft berth along with beefy 4/0 gauge wire, but I can't believe what a difference shortening the circuit has made to starting.  Definitely do this. 

BTW, Ron points out that you need to upgrade the wiring to #8 (from the puny #12 that was OEM for my 1990 boat).  I actually went to #6.  With my new starting battery switch inside the aft berth entryway, I have about four feet of 4/0 cable from the start battery to the switch and then about two feet back of #6 to the solenoid, and another eight inches to the first glow plug from the solenoid.  I started the engine for the first time in four months on Friday in 40 degree weather.  Before the upgrades (and clearly the new, starting-specific battery is a contributing factor), it would take me between :40 and :50 of glow plug energization before the engine would start.  The first time, I tried it after :30, and the engine started immediately.  The next day, a touch warmer in the mid 40s, I tried the engine after :15 and it again started instantly (much faster than even :50's worth of glow would give me last year).  I can't wait to see how little pre-heat I need to use.  If you haven't done this upgrade, I highly recommend it.  It's not too hard, pretty cheap, and incredibly satisfying to know your engine will start with the touch of a button.  Thanks Ron. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

BillG

What type of solenoid did you use?
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Jon Schneider

I was lazy and stupid... I had read Ron's Project article a year or two ago, and had wanted to do this upgrade ever since, so when I was browsing the aisles of a local WM, I bought a ridiculously over-priced Cole Hersee solenoid (the 24117-01 at http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/16222/377%20710/0/solenoid/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=solenoid&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=solenoid&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=119) Both Ron and Tom Soko (on the C36 site) offer lower-cost alternatives.  I just knew that if I bought the thing, I'd eventually install it.  Really glad I did. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

We used a Wells #F496, all of $7.57 in 1999.  It's still working.  Got it at a Kragen's Auto Parts store.

I also believe that Captain Al Watson (#55 Kindred Spirit, now Dave Commando's boat) wrote that article, with Ron's additional comments and a sketch of the wiring that we contributed.

Ron's suggestion was to ground the base of the solenoid by moutning it right on the engine; we chose to mount it above the engine underneath the wooden molding, so had to run a separate ground wire to the engine in addition to the solenoid connections.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Oops, you're right as usual Stu.  Apologies to you and Capt. Al (wherever he may be).  I'll bet your $7.57 solenoid isn't nearly as high-tech and artistic looking as my $49 one  :cry4`  Plus, mine's got a cool, northern European-sounding brand name.  I'm sure it's added well over $50 re-sale value to my heap  8)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Jon - You have to keep it in perspective. Even $100 would be cheap, if starting your engine 30 seconds faster keeps you off a reef.

My 1 cent..........

Jon Schneider

You're absolutely right, Craig.  The smile on my face when I started the engine up in :15 was worth every cent to me.  There was a day last December in the low 40s when I really had a hard time starting her up as I was coming home; somehow every problem/issue seems worse in the Northeast on a cold December day. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Heck, Jon, if you're sailing in December, things are good!

Last I heard Captain Al and Michelle bought a Catalina / Morgan 43 and were still active in LISCA, he was commodore for a while.  Reminds me I have to get in touch with him.

Isn't fast (and regular, consistent) starting a dream?!?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Fast starting is a total dream!  It's such a comfort to know that you can turn the key after a few seconds and there's power to spare.  That's exactly why I had to write up my feelings originally.  All that said, I actually have to force myself to run the diesel long enough to get to operating temp.; otherwise, it's all about hoisting the canvas asap!
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Joe Nalley

Stu,
Captain Al did buy a Morgan 43 and they are very active in LISCA, saw them last weekend at a West Marine discount sale for LISCA members.

Joe Nalley
Allegro 415

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 25, 2008, 01:50:58 PM
Heck, Jon, if you're sailing in December, things are good!

Last I heard Captain Al and Michelle bought a Catalina / Morgan 43 and were still active in LISCA, he was commodore for a while.  Reminds me I have to get in touch with him.

Isn't fast (and regular, consistent) starting a dream?!?
:D

Phil Spicer

Stu, I did a search on boat upgrades last week & hit on Captain Al's Morgan 43. He must have 10 or 12 major projects he has done to the 43. Projects are fantastic, must be 300 pictures or more. I tried the sugar scoop on my 34 when the kids were little, but I didn't like the way it looked. The markI is too narrow in the stern, so I scrapped the project. On Al's 43 it looks good. Check out Al's new projects.

link to Capt Al's page:  http://kindred-spirit.net/index2.html
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Guys : When I did that glow plug modification over 12 years ago (& the article); the difference in price between Ford truck solenoid and a marine grade one was less than $10 !!! 
Think that you'll find that 10 seconds does the job of heating up the cylinders.
My Ford truck solenoid is still "keeps-on-a-trucking" and continues to the job to date !!
Ron, Apache #788

mnewber

I ended up loosing my battery charger  (Charles 30) and my wiring harness (engine) at least at the cockpit/engine panel side this weekend.   :cry4`
I was also looking up the wiring harness/Solenoid upgrades.  Found Capt Al's and stumbled upon his newest toy.  Where does that guy find all of the time to do those projects, I'm guessing not tied up with soccer, softball and those "kids" sports.  That new rear scoop looks really nice. 
Anyway I bought the wire today for the upgrade from West Marine (ouch) and guess I'll be picking up the Ford Solenoid that'll leave the resale value to Jon!   :think   :thumb: 

Jon Schneider

Quote from: mnewber on March 31, 2008, 08:38:50 PM
I ended up loosing my battery charger  (Charles 30) and my wiring harness (engine) at least at the cockpit/engine panel side this weekend. 
That's a shame about your battery charger.  Which one are you going to replace it with? 

What do you mean that you lost your wiring harness at the engine panel?  It burned up?  It corroded away?  You weren't replacing all of those wires individually at WM, were you?  You can get a whole new harness from Seaward for about $50.  If something happened to the wires at the panel side, check carefully that it's in the harness.  The problem certainly could be in the connector, but I suspect that it would more likely be the hot alternator charging wire at the ignition switch itself.  You could fix this by simply cutting the orange wire that connects the alternator to the engine-side of the harness, and connect that pigtail to the starter engine; thus bypassing the panel altogether (which is how it should have been designed in the first place). 

BTW, the absolute best place in North America (at least that I've found) to buy wire is bestboatwire.com.  I've mentioned this a few times, so it'll probably sound like I have a vested interest in the place, but I don't.  Whatever you bought at WM can be purchased for 1/3rd of the price or less at bbw.  Unfortunately, they only sell some smaller gauge wire in 100' spools, but even that is an incredible bargain.  I needed 15' of blue-coated #12 wire recently.  bbw's price for a 100' spool was nearly the same as what WM was going to charge for 15'.  (Anybody need 85' of blue-coated #12 :wink:)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

mnewber

Battery Charger:
Not sure yet, i'm looking for inverter/charger to replace it but don't want to dump my a$$.  Thinking about a used Heart 1000 that is local for $100 with the 2000 panel.

Wire Harness:
Not sure to the extent on the damage on the wire harness at the engine panel.  It is burnt so I am leaning now towards the Hot wire you mention.  I haven't had a chance to check behind the panel to the "wire plug" and in the port lazertte there is a divider protecting the panel.  So this weekend or if I get off one of these days early i can check it.  The more i think of it it sounds like the hot wire.  The lower harness plugs by engine are perfect. Also trying to get ahold of Seaward to get the replacement engine panel while i'm at it. 

Wires:
TOO LATE!!!!!!!   :cry4` :cry4` :cry4`  I forked over my a$$ to WestMarine yesterday. :banghead  So I could have used some of that #12 Blue but you told me too late.

I'm also going to look to Seaward for the interior panel so that site may still come in handy in the future.  I seem to have a hot short somewhere in my system.  When i have the cabin lights and the running lights on together the circut breakers get hot to the touch.  I found one thread where it sounds as if those two circuts share a common ground.  So i'll check that first.

So at the end of the day Sunday i walked away from with the boat with three projects and none of them completed!!!