adding refrigeration

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick

I would like to add refrigeration to my 1988 34.  Could someone who has undertaken this give me some advice?
What model refrigeration unit would be good?
What is the cubic of the ice box?
Where should the compressor be located?
We are only away from shore power normally overnight, is it necesary to run on batteries or will ice box remain cold?

Thank you for you assitance.
Happy sailing

calewis

I bought my C34 two years ago. It had a Norcold system that had stopped working. A repair co. told me it was not serviceable. It was located in the hanging locker at of the chart table. I purchased the Alder/Barbor cold machine. I wanted to reclaim the hanging locker so I installed the compressor in the area under the V-berth. I made a mounting bracket and located the compressor just under the V-berth drawer. I found there is enough cubic footage of air in that area and water cooling the bottom of that area that no other venting is necessary.

The cold machine comes with evaporator lines just long enough. I mounted the Small Evaporator on the foreword end in the icebox and notched the shelf around it.

Last year we went to the Delta, an inland water way in northern CA. It was 90 degrees plus all day and the refrigerator stayed at about 38 degrees. We had no shore power with 2, 105 amp hour batteries, lasted us for 3 days. At dock it always on as well. I have cold drinks waiting for me and the Mayo and other condiments are already there.

West Marine carries a battery-operated fan called the fridgemate. It will move the air around in the icebox. I highly recommend it. Model# 584476 for $19.99
›