High water temperature sensor

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

Has anyone figured out how to install the high water sensor on a 25XP?  I replaced the harness and engine panel last year, and it has the capacity to have the high-water alarm (alarm to indicate high water temperature), but apparently there is no thermostat cap/housing for the XP that can accommodate both the temp sensor and the high-water alarm sensor (at least according to Torresen and Hansen).  If you did this upgrade, did you drill and tap a hole for the sender?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Jon - I bought the cap from the local Universal distributor, but there's no reason you couldn't drill & tap the existing housing. The worst thing that would happen is that you'd have to buy a new cap.

Craig

Jon Schneider

Craig, do you have any idea of the part number?  I assume your cap has two entry points, one for the temp sender and the other for the high-water alarm (why they can't combine these two functions is beyond me)?  BTW, these caps are about $100, so I'm less than thrilled about experimenting with one. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Jon - p/n 200262 for the housing (from the Seaward data sheet). I see it's $105 at Torreson. I don't think I paid that much for it. Check with Gallery Marine here in Seattle. http://www.gallerymarine.com/
I hope I didn't toss my old one, I should have been selling it on eBay. I'll have to check around.

Craig

Tom Soko

Jon,
It's very easy to drill and tap a new hole for a second sender.  The housing is aluminum and easy to work with.  I've attached a photo showing both senders installed. Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Jon : Another Idea :
You might also ask Seaward if they still have the old Hi Temp Alarm that turned the analog (when it reached 190/200F) to a digital signal and the alarm buzzer would sound.  Ask for Dave Gardner.
Have had one of those since 1990! Also installed a "press to test" toggle switch so I can check that the alarm is working!! 
Wrote that up in the Mainsheet about 18 years ago.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Thanks Ron; that's a neat trick that Seaward developed, but I upgraded to the new engine panel last year, so I've now got a light and an alarm built in.  Just need to connect it to a sender!
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Jon : FYI, I also have a new panel and both the light and the buzzer go off when the temperature is over 190!  What I did do is to replace the meek Seaward buzzer with one from Radio Shack which is MUCH louder!! 
Now it can even be heard in the galley when the engine is running!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

That's a great idea, Ron.  Any particular buzzer from RadioShack, or just any one that fits?
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Jon : The way I selected mine was to take two 6V lantern batteries (in Radio Shack) and put them in series so you get 12V. 
Then I picked the loudest one!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I'm surprised they didn't kick you out of the store!
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

steve stoneback

Jon,

I installed a new panel, harness, housing and sender last year.  The housing cost me 96 bucks.  I sure wish I had just drilled and tapped the old housing (which I still have) and saved the $.  Live and learn. 

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Jon Schneider

Steve, you gotta look at it this way: you helped postpone the collapse of the economy... every boat buck counts ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Craig Illman on March 14, 2008, 09:20:16 PM
Jon - p/n 200262 for the housing (from the Seaward data sheet).
Craig, are you sure that this is the part number.  I just received it, and it doesn't have a second hole for the high-water sensor.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Jon - That's the number I got off the print from Seaward. Maybe you received old stock? Who did you order it from?

Craig