Need new location for depth/speed transducers

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

I'm replacing the instruments on #75.  Murphy was right - if you want the transducers on the new instruments to use the same diameter hole or larger than the original, they won't.  And mine don't.  The new ones are Nexus, and just enough smaller to matter (43mm vs 50mm).  How do you make a hole smaller?  I guess it's doable to epoxy/glass over the holes and then redrill them.  But maybe a better solution is to simply leave the old ones where they are (under the v-berth) and put new holes in the hull (ugh) for the new ones.  But where?

I've got the sole out of the boat for refinishing.  I seem to recall that someone put their transducers under the forecabin sole, removing pieces of the liner for access.  The transducers need 3-4" of clearance between the hull and the liner.  Anybody have any experience or advice on this?

Thanks,
Steve

SteveLyle

After sleeping on it I'm thinking the best way is to make the current holes smaller.  Epoxy and glass around the inner circumference - a couple of layers should reduce the diameter by the 7mm I need.

Dionysus

Make the repair thick on the inside and as for width, overlap the hull by at least 4 times the diameter of the hole  You'll never make the repair as strong as the original but you can sure try.

I have a 1986, and the transducers are just aft of the forward bulkhead, just aft of the table, in the space under the forward-starboard seat cushion.  No hull liner here to contend with in this model.  Not a bad plan to just leave them and drill new holes, but it might not excite the next prospective buyer.

Good luck.

chp

howard armstrong

After this weekend and a faulty depth finder i am also going to replace mine. does anyone have a suggestion to the brand to get. I would rather a just a simple one that works well and not one that does other this too. Mine now sits in an oil bath in the area under the vee berth but am moving it to a thru the hull type in the area behind the forward bulkhead on the starboard side.
Thanks
Howard
Angelina 648

korsu

I have centered in on a Nexus system. Has anyone purchased a Nexus 2000 or 3000 recently? Did you get a multi display and a separate display for wind or a combo? I have pretty much decided on Nexus but now I don't know what system componets to order. Has any body purchase a pod and if so which one and from where. Besides on punching holes in the bottom, anybody have any other tips? Does the wind tranducer come with everything you need to mount it to the masthead or do I need to be thinking about buying or making a rig?
Thanks,
Howard Korsu
 Kesätalo "87 C34"

sselinger

How about making a coller for the new transducer which would take the diameter up to 50 mm. You should be able to have some machined up, made out of nylon. Then use a normal grade sealer.

Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

SteveLyle

I looked at everything (Raymarine, SH, etc.) and the Nexus package seemed to be the most complete, flexible, and looks easy to install with the bus wiring system.  Good price, too, from PYS.  Initially I'm just going with one multi-display, that I'll put at the wheel.  If I find myself constantly flipping displays I'll get another multi, or a dedicated wind display.  I'm going to build a teak bracket to hold my multi and a couple of other odds and ends at the wheel guard.