companionway leak

Previous topic - Next topic

mervdog

I have a leak on the lower corner of the companion way on to the cover of the engine. I noticed the wood is rotting and have replaced the side piece. The shelf is also rotting. Has anyone replaced the shelf that goes back into the aft cabin over the engine? I look on th FAQ and found some ideas to stop the water but not how to replace the shelf.

Stu Jackson

Merv, I've never heard of that issue, always good there's something new, although not so good for you.

Please help us to help you by advising of your hull # as noted in the sticky topic, Identification.

There was a recent thread here about galley faucets where I posted a link to the removal of the galley counter top.  It appears that the materials used on the Mark Is was pretty similar, so I would offer that the installation techniques used by the factory for the aft cabin horizontal part were also somewhat the same.  Check the links I provided in that thread.

There was also discussion recently about a Mark II owner wanting access to the HX zinc on his boat from the aft cabin.  I believe he may have ended up cutting an access hole in the vertical part, rather than the top.  A search on HX zincs would find that thread.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Vaccaro

Merv,

We replaced the shelf for the same reason.  We used marine grade ply and then covered the top with formica that matches the rest of the cabin.  The exposed ply was treated with CDPE (clear deep-penetrating epoxy) to seal it and prevent future rot.  We were able to detach the old ply from the teak facing and re-use the teak portion.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Mike Vaccaro

Merv,

Sorry, I misunderstood your post--I replaced the cover over the engine compartment.  The shelf in the aft cabin is likely ply that is secured with screws through the liner (above the heat exchanger), similar to the galley counter and other shelves throughout the boat.  Catalina used a pre-faced shelving grade plywood for this.  When you get the old shelf off, you can remove the teak edging and reuse it with the new shelf, or you can obtain replacement moulding.  This type of fiddle is commonly available in marine chandleries, but if you can't find it locally, you might try H&L Marine Woodwork, 2965 East Harcourt Street, Rancho Diminguez, CA  90221,  (323) 636-1718.

A local cabinet shop can likely help with the small piece of formica required.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Sundance

I have the same leak, port side of companionway.  I can't figure out where the water is comming from.  I don't want to replace the engine cover until I figure out how to stop this leak.  Has anyone successfully done this?
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that the leak is occurring UNDER the bottom (horizontal twartship) piece of companion way teak.  I stopoped my leak by caulking the under side of that teak piece to the vertical gelcoat.
A thought.   :think
Ron, Apache #788