Companion Way Doors

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Wey

I am about to order new zacor doors  http://www.zarcor.com to replace the teak boards in the companion way. Does anybody have these? Can any one offer a comment?

Mark Wey C-36
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Ken Juul

I had thought about doing this.  But in the open position they intrude too far into the cockpit.  Would end up removing then and stowing below to go sailing.  Seems like a lot of money spent to look good at the dock when you aren't aboard.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mark Wey

Ken.

I agree they do protrude into the cockpit. But they are hinged and are easy to remove at the hinges. I have a full enclosure on my boat. When we cruise my wife likes to keep the mosquito's out from down below or the cool night time air out as well . This door has a screen plus options for a full privacy door etc. etc. Taking the boards in and out can be a pain. Besides the teak needs constant attention. Expensive yes, but.........

Here is another thread on the C-36 sight with a similar discussion.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Here's another fairly related question.

What is the best way to lock your hatchboards from he inside for security while you are sleeping? I have replaced my factory hatchboards with a one piece Lexan hatch with the hasp at the outside top to mate with the factory padeye.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

canuck

Mike, why not padlock the boards as you would normally do from the outside and then enter the boat through the forward hatch over the v berth.

Roland Gendreau

I would not recommend padlocking the hatch from the inside or outside while you are sleeping, as it it could be a real safety hazard in the event of something requiring immediate evacuation, such as fire.

We don't lock ours at all but if we thought it was necessary, I would use some sort of slide bolt from the inside to prevent the hatch from being slid open.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ken Juul

To keep bugs out of the cabin we have a plexiglass frame with screen in the middle that fills the entire hatch.  Light weight and thin so it stores easily under the aft mattress.  To keep the heat & A/C in the cabin we have a similiar solid peice of plexiglass we use in place of the teak boards when we are aboard.  We also have a piece of sunbrella the size of the hatch boards that snaps to the sliding companionway top.  It's real purpose is to keep the UV's off the hatch boards to ease maintenance, but also comes in handy as a shade for clear plexiglass.

Yes they have to come out to go in and out of the cabin.  But they are light weight & easily handled with one hand.  Alot easier than dealing with 3 hatch boards.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Perry

I agree with Ken's suggested solution, and I have seen very similar set ups. However splitting the companion way doors to an upper and lower would make storage a bit easier.

Meerkata

What will these doors do in the event of a knock-down? They do not appear to be sea-worthy, but seem quite handsome and appear easy to use.

sail4dale

We had a member of our yacht club in our marina who lived aboard and would lock from the inside.  One night his dog knocked over a space heater and sadly smoke killed them both right in his slip.

DON'T LOCK YOURSELF IN AT NIGHT WHILE SLEEPING.   LATCH BUT NOT LOCK!
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Kyle Ewing

Having smoke and CO detectors on board is a must!  I only have one in the main cabin but will add a second for the aft birth.

I don't worry about locking the boat when I sleep at dock because someone stepping on board will wake me up.  If someone is breaking in they'll most certainly flee when they realize someone is below. 

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Quote from: sail4dale on March 08, 2008, 01:41:47 PM
We had a member of our yacht club in our marina who lived aboard and would lock from the inside.  One night his dog knocked over a space heater and sadly smoke killed them both right in his slip.

DON'T LOCK YOURSELF IN AT NIGHT WHILE SLEEPING.   LATCH BUT NOT LOCK!

In hindsight, if this fellow could compile a list of things not to do,  locking himself in would probably be very near the bottom.

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Interesting thread about securing oneself inside.  My first inclination was to say: "What kind of neighborhood are you hanging out in?"

Upon further reflection, there is a reasonable NEED to SECURE (but not necessarily to lock) the companionway boards (doors seem much easier) when in heavy weather (rather than just at the dock).  I have always been interested in finding a way to do that from inside that can use a simple barrel bolt or door hooks.  The arrangement should be one where the hatch can still open, but the boards would be secured by hasping the top board to keep the lower ones in.

We keep our two boards together when we take them out, so anything with protruding hardware would result in us having to rearrange how they are stored.  Ron Hill's solution, written up in Tech Notes, has them in a nice double slip holder in the port locker.  If the barrel bolt(s) were secured to the jamb of the companionway and only the barrels poked into the top board, something like that could work.

I don't recall being in weather heavy enough to warrant this idea, but one day...

Anyone have any solutions?  Pictures?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Clay

I have installed a barrel bolt to the port side of the companion way. It goes up and secures the hatch. Very easy to install and works very well.

I will get a picture of the installation.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.