Galley Faucet

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

Roc- a standard-size soap dispenser fits if you place it in corner of the sink (mine is placed on the far left corner as you're looking at the sink).  The SS of the sink isn't too tough to drill through. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Roc

Jon,
My trash can is located to the left of the sink.  If yours is too, does the dispenser get in the way of the trash can?  With mine, you need to work it out, through the cabinet doors to empty it.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Tom Lanzilli

Roc I did place it in the left corner and it does not interfere with the trash can which by the way I do not use for trash we use it for storage of dry goods.  The whole idea of putting trash into such a small can is ridiculous.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Jon Schneider

Roc- My trash bin is on the left side of the sink, but I believe that later models (mine's a 1990) have extended the trash bins upwards (mine goes from just above the sole, up about 12").  If yours goes higher, it's possible that the dispenser base could interfere with it (my dispenser, which I think is pretty standard, extends about 10" below the counter), but I would think you could purchase a smaller soap bottle and cheat the uptake tube. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Tom Lanzilli

Here are the pictures of my installation.  The first shows the full setup, the second is the picture under the sink showing the connections, the third is the soap bottle in relation to the shelf that holds the garbage pail.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Tom Lanzilli

This might be a better pic of the actual faucet.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Steve Sayian

Tom,
Great idea!  We have a plastic squeeze bottle of 'Joy' in the same location as your dispenser and yours is much better looking and functional! Gonna copy you!

What is on the right corner of the sink frame (looks like a water-type dispenser)???

BTW, it was a pleasure meeting you at the Boston Boat Show (I was at the CANE booth and you met my wife on the new C-375, Hull #1).

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Tom Lanzilli

Steve, yes I got a little carried away and installed a GE water filter system.  this pic shows it a little better and the second ppic shows where I placed the actual filter.

It was great meeting you and your wife at the show, I look forward to seeing you again on the water!
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

canuck

Bit the bullet and with a lot of help from my friend Pierre, a Catalina 42 owner, we replaced the original faucet with a chrome Eurostream GE451012 pull out. We used two s/s 3/8" x 12" supply hoses and threaded metal connectors. No more compression fittings! The Admiral is very happy as she can use the water heater without fear of a connection blowing off! Pierre had just completed the same install on his boat as the head on his kitchen faucet cracked. These were the same identical faucets supplied by Catalina. His 42 is a 2005 model. Just a heads up fellas! Upon inspection we also noted that the soldered supply line to the original faucet head had movement. Total cost for the hardware was $119 ffor the faucet + $17 for the 2 hoses. The install was done without removal of the sinks. You will need the special right angle wrench for tightening the lock nut on the mounting body, but this is available at any good hardware store. We pressurised the water system for 6 hours just to check and it is air and water tight!
In addition, Pierre also installed hinges on the icebox lid and top and an adjustable strut with a manual tightener. Due to the configuration of the 34 MK II ice box a right angle bracket was fabricated out of aluminum and screwed underneath the top. Not an easy project but very much appreciated by the Admiral as well. These lids are quite heavy. 

Tom Lanzilli

Canuck, I would love to see a few pictures of your icebox mechanism.  It sounds interesting.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

FWIW, a search on "ice box hinge" (in quotes to get the exact phrase) finds the earleir discussions on this idea.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."