M25XP/M25XPB confusion

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

In doing some research about my other thread about oil pan replacement, I went to the C34IA home page and clicked on manuals and then on parts list to look at the engine diagram showing the oil pan and its related parts and part numbers. When talking to the local parts supplier, he had different part numbers than I did for the oil pan, so I gave him my part number and he cross referenced it to be for a m25xpb rather than the m25xp. I'm not sure what uses the m25xpb but I knew that ours as the m25xp.

I just wanted others to be aware that the manual is for the xpb and not the xp.

Does anyone know if any of the C34's use the xpb? And is there a manual available on line for the xp.

BTW, the first page of the manual does say M25XPB, but I guess I "ASSUMED" it was the same and maybe most parts are the same, but obviously not the oil pan.

Mike :oops:
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : Let me see if I can clear up SOME your confusion :

M25XP - Made by Universal in Oshkosh WI. and was the original engine in the 1987/88/89/90 C34s (23hp)
M25XPA - The similar engine as the M25XP, but made by Westerbeke after they bought out
              universal from Medalest Corp. in about 1990? (23hp)
M25XPB - Similar to the M25XPA, but 26hp with a larger cc displacement and a slightly differant footprint.

All have 3 cylinders and are a basic derivative of the Kubota D950 block.  The accessory front of each are different ie. raw water pump/alternator/etc.  The A & B have differant Xmissions and the Bs Xmission can be removed with the engine in place ( I think?).  I'm not too sure how many of the XPA parts are interchangeable with the XPB?
Clear as mud?    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net