changing window/port hole gaskets (Lewmar)

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster1358

With all the rain we have gotten lately in Southern California I have noticed that a number of my windows/port holes are leaking.  the gaskets seem OK, but I am guessing that they need to be replaced.  My boat number 1358, is now ten years old.  Where do I get the gaskets, and are they difficult to replace?  How do you do it?  any help would as always be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Salazar
Coaster
1997 MK 2

Jim Price

John, you might want to search the board first.  There have been many threads on leaking ports.  Not sure of your port brand, but most of the older boats (mine is a 1991) solved the leaking port issue with just replacing the rubber o-rings in the locking handles.  The rubber gets compressed over time and the handle does not really draw the port up to the gasket as tight as you would think.  Mine were flat, not round after about 12 years.  Never a drop leaked since replacing the o-rings.  Much easier and cheaper thatn attempting to do the port gaskets.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Wayne

I had one leak, almost new.  I was told that dust can settle into the gap between the ring and the glass, plus the ring flatten.  I opened up, cleaned completely, and the problem went away.  Also, I was told that the latch had a 'shim' incorporated under the screw that holds the latch in place that allows a tighter latching for when the rings flatten a bit with age.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ron Hill

John : Before you go for the new gaskets I'd try this 1st :
Take some silicone spray and put some silicone on the gaskets.  It will limber up the gasket and make them resilient again. 
If that doesn't work then measure to get the size and look at the Lewmar web site.  Determine the gasket # and then order from Defender.  They will be about $15 each.  BTW, each new gasket will comes with an instruction sheet on how to install it !
Hope this helps.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

David Urscheler

Catalina Direct also carries them for about $15.00. 

waterdog

John,

I have a southern California boat and the 20 year old gaskets were definitely past their prime with visible cracking.  I replaced them last year with new ones from Catalina Direct.   The old ones pull out easily. You clean the old silicone out of the frames, clean up the frames and bed them in a thin coat of new silicone.  It is not difficult, but takes some work to get them in.   The alarming part was the new gaskets seemed to be a lot fatter than the old ones.  It was really hard to close the ports afterwards.   After a few months, they seem happily compressed to a nice seal.  They're leak free and operate well. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

mnewber

thereefs

I had and still have the dripping port problem on my 99mk11,#1439.I rebedded the ports,installed new seals,new o-rings,no improvement.After several calls  to Lewmar and speaking with Bobby(ms)she told me that these seals are no longer available.After calling around I ,found a few,but I suspect these are long gone,good luck!

Roger Blake

thereefs--Oh no...I've got 2 leaking ports...need gaskets...did she/they, Bobby/Lewmar provide a recommendation (like replacing the whole port assembly)? Also, where did you find find the replacements?   :shock:
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

David Urscheler

Just received my gaskets from Catalina Direct for my 1991 and installed two today. While slightly thicker than whats there currently, they fit perfectly. Had to back off the two allen screws holding the dogs to compensate for the thicker gasket but suspect they will flatten out over time. Give em a call. Very helpful.