Cockpit drain bedding compound?

Previous topic - Next topic

mnewber

OK after extensive searches and reviews on this site, the closet I've come to an answer is contained in the discussion around chainplates but i'm not sure the same answer(s) apply. 
Background:  With all the rain in So Cal lately my boat has all of the sudden become a very wet boat.  I've was introduced to chain plates on the first tumultuous trip over to the Channel Islands.  i think we found almost every 'open' crack the boat had on her.  Then over the MLK weekend we brough it down to Dana Point on what as a very calm, clear and warm weekend. 
Over this weekend I dried out the bilge area and area under the prop shaft. upon returning the next day WET AGAIN.  I figured that i had the front relitivly attended to so I went back to the rear and again the cushions in the rear Qtr were wet underneath them. 
I took off the tank and rear panel in my quest for the search of intruding water.  I filled up the water tank, no issues there from either a wayward screw or a leaking inlet/outlet/hose clamp.  scratching my head(after hitting it several times from crawling back  and forth into the rear bunk area) i stumbled upon the answer, the port side cockpit drain was leaking.  Like a sieve!  then on inspection on top the PO tried to address it by simply laying a layer of silicone down to thawart off the intrusion.  Needless to say it didn't work. 
I removed it and cleaned up the opening, and now need to clean up the drain plastic itself, not sure that's possible. 
So to make a short story long, what should i use??? did they use 5200 or some other non-removable sealant from the factory(as mentioned i did get it out but it was in there)?  Would 4000 or 4200 be sufficient??  I'm not thinking that i just want to lay down a bead of silicone or I would soon be redoing the work all over.
thanks!

Jeff Kaplan

3m 4200 or any polysulfide type  bedding compound will work just fine. stay away from 5200 or silicone for this one, just in case you have to take apart again, which, if done correctly, won't be necessary. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma