Maxwell Primary winch overhaul

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

Aloha...Does anyone have a schematic for a 26ST 2-Speed Maxwell winch circa 1987? If not, do you know if there are any 'tricks' to taking it apart?
Thanks, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ron Hill

Susan : Don't know that much about a Maxwell, but to save you some grief and not feed the "Stainless God" that lives on the waters bottom - here's a tip. 
Take a bottom to a 24 can soda carton.  Cut a hole in the bottom the size of the winch and place it over the winch before you start to take it apart.  If you happen to drop any parts/screws - they will fall into the carton and not overboard!! 
A thought.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

The August 2007 Mainsheet magazine, C34 Tech Tips had an article with pictures of the Maxwell Winch Overhaul.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I sold mine with the boat, but I got it from Maxwell.  Just call them up and they'll probably send you one for free too.   :thumb:  Or they may even have the info on their web site.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Susan Ray

Thanks to all..Bill for the schematics and advice from Ron. I will tackle overhaul this week then move to the next problem of finding the parts I need to replace. I'm hoping they aren't specific to the Maxwell. Mahalo, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

BillG

Stu, when I wrote the article last year on winch maintenance for the
August issue, I attached copies of the schematics, as well as photos. The
schematics didn't make the article.  I sent them to both  the tech editor and the projects editor.
Perhaps they could print them up in the projects section.  My thought is that they are pretty detailed
and I don't think you will be able to see them if I  reduce them in size and post them on this forum.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I found this on the internet:

Maxwell Sheet Winch Parts and Service
  Maxwell Marine have sold all their Sheet Winch spare parts and tooling to the Australian Yacht Winch Company known as ARCO. ARCO are world renowned as a source for spares for old Sheet Winches. Their contact details are www.arco-winches.com or telephone: +61 2 9623 2448 or fax: +61 2 9623 2265. Arco are based in New South Wales, Australia. 

Hope this helps,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Bill, thanks for sending me the schematics, which we'll post on the new improved Tech Notes Online soon, along with the original article and pictures.

Mike, that's a great resource and I'll add it to the Tech Notes Online article, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

sailingdolphin

Hi will you send the schematics, pictures and article too me.  Thank you
Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

Schematics, thanks to Bill.  You can copy and paste these photos and blow 'em up on your photo viewer or Photoshop software.

Stu Jackson