Water collecting in bridge deck

Previous topic - Next topic

r_bond

I recently noticed some stains along the inside of the companionway.  At first I thought perhaps water had dripped in across the threshold and run down past the hooks where the steps connect  But when I removed the hooks so I could clean the stains and polish the brass, water seeped out of the holes.  I started tapping on the area below and it sounded like it was hollow on top but solid about 1/2 way down.  I started tapping with my fist (actually more like pounding) and sure enough...I could hear water sloshing around.  So I drilled a small hole in the center just above the bottom of the bridge deck and almost a gallon of water proceeded to drain out.  Anybody have any ideas where water could be coming from that is collecting in the bridge deck area?  Trinity is a 1993 model with a full bimini, connector and dodger so very little water actually "lands" on the hatch/companion way areas.  I'm stumped.
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

Stu Jackson

It's gotta be coming in from somewhere above the bridge deck, I know, all too obvious.  This is the first I've ever heard of this.  The "usual suspects" would be the trim around the hatch boards.  With your Mark II check all the trim that holds the hatch boards in place, remove and rebed if necessary.  Also check that the slot for the sliding companionway hatch doesn't back up with water.  Just because of all your covers doesn't mean it can't rain sideways.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."