Diesel Motor Smell

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Benoit

I had heard that the newer (than 1989) Universal's had a crankcase ventilation system installed.  Does anyone have one of these?  Does it have any sort of trap or filter?

Thanks,

Tony

lucky

A catalina 36 at my marina had the PCV valve on it,it stopped up and blew all the oil out of engine through the dip stick.Owner installed hose to intake without another valve.Did not ruin engine

Tom Soko

In talking to a W/U rep at a boatshow, I was told that plumbing the crankcase vent hose directly into the intake manifold was a perfectly acceptable thing to do.  I did that about 10 years ago, and have had no problems.  No oily smell when the diesel is running.  I was told that compared to the huge amount of air that a diesel pumps, the amount of oily air ingested into the combustion chamber is miniscule.  Below is a picture of the hose attached to the manifold.  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Tony Benoit

Dear Captain of Julandra,

Thank you for the information and the photo.  Did you install that fitting for the hose yourself?  It would seem easy to do: Drill and tap.  But I don't think I would want to do that with the manifold on the engine.  (The little bits of metal would be a problem even if the oil is ok--ouch.)

I see that you are out of Noank.  We're over in Col. Willie Cove (Watch Hill).  I'll look for you out on Fishers Island Sound this summer.

Thanks again,

Tony

Ron Hill

Tony : As I recall when I've had mine off, there are 6 bolts that are easily accessable  - to remove the intake manifold from the engine.  Drill & tap and reinstall.  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

DaveM

I took the stock round air filter housing like is shown for Julandra.  I installed a hose barb brass fitting in a hole I drilled on the side of the filter housing.  The barg fitting had a threaded end on the other end so I could secure it with a washer through the sheet metal side of the filter housing.  That way the oil that comes through the breather hose is caught on the foam filter.  It catches quite a bit of oil.  The filter is easy to clean.

Good Winds,
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Momentum M

In regard to the smell....in the "Sail" of last February (page 34 !!...coincidence) there's a small article and it says to use liquid Calgon fabric softener.  They say to wipe down the affected area with it.

Its worth a try...and if anyone does use it, it would be appreciated to post comments.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

tonywright

Hi Serge

The mystery is still: what is liquid Calgon fabric softener, and where can you buy it?  Calgon just seems to make water softener...

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jon Schneider

I've been confused by that as well, but perhaps the original reference was simply a typo and they meant the "water" softener?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Momentum M

Guys...I'm responding from the office so I don't have the Sail magazine with me.

The way I understood is Calgon fabric softener...similar to fleece.  Since I don't do the grocery shopping, maybee ask your wife!!!

I'll check tonight and get back.  Maybee, if you have Fleece at home...well give it a try you never know until you try but I assume that it would be similar to Calgon as far as product/chemicals.

The two chaps, in the article..one recommended to the other this product as it did work very well for him...and the second guy, after doing the same...well he seems to swear by it.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Jon Schneider

Since I actually worked with P&G on Downy years ago, this conundrum was interesting to me, and then I realized why the author in Sail called Calgon Water Softener a fabric softener: people actually often soften their water both to increase sudsing action of soap and also to make their clothes feel softer after washing, especially if they line-dry them.  I think the author simply confused the product name with his own benefit association (in addition to the claimed diesel smell removal).  Since fabric softener used to be simply a perfumed version of rendered fat (now it's all synthetic, but the idea is the same), I don't think it would really be something you'd want smeared throughout the bilge; it would just attract dirt.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Momentum M

Jon you most likely right.  I'm checking the Sail magazine again and it does say liquid Calgone fabric softener but after doing a quick Goggle...there's no Calgone fabric softener but there's a Calgone water softener.

So anyway, it's worth the trial and because it's water soluble, a good rinse would take away the residue
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Momentum M on May 14, 2008, 01:13:17 PM
Jon you most likely right. 

Hmmm... what part am I wrong about?  ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Tony Benoit

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 13, 2008, 05:17:28 PM
Tony : As I recall when I've had mine off, there are 6 bolts that are easily accessable  - to remove the intake manifold from the engine.  Drill & tap and reinstall.  A thought. 
Ron:

Are there any special requirements when reinstalling the manifold, such as a specific torque or special sealant?

Thanks,

Tony

Craig Illman

Tony - No sealant, but you might tear a gasket, one Kubota 15261-1182 and two 15261-1183. They're 10mm metric heads. Get a 1/4" drive ratchet, a couple different length extensions, 3" & 6", maybe a 1/4 drive universal and a 1/4 drive nut driver. It's pretty easy on boats with a starboard engine access door. Probably 15ft/lbs is adequate torque.

While you have it off, you could replace the #2 glow plug too.

All above subject to correction!

Craig