Galley Faucet

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lanzilli

I am looking to replace my galley faucet with a single lever faucet similar to the one that came standard in the C36.  I was told the replacement needs to be a marine faucet because the diameter is smaller than a standard household faucet.  Catalina direct has the C36 faucet, but is it expensive at over $250.  Does anyone have experience with this upgrade, I would love to hear which brand you used in the replacement and where you purchased it? 

Also is it really true that there is a difference in a household faucet and the marine version?
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Ted Pounds

I did this using a Delta faucet I got a Home Depot.  As I recall I had to do some filing and working the backing plate to get it to fit.  But it wasn't too hard and it only cost $75 and worked like a charm.  It's very nice not having to adjust the temperature every time you turn on the faucet.  Saves on water that way.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Tom : Your original galley faucet is made by Grohe (630)582-7711.
To answer your question as to marine difference? - any kitchen faucet will work as a replacement.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

ssk

Ikea has a high quality chromed brass faucet for $39.00 with ceramic valves.  I replaced the Grohe on my 88 C30 and it was a perfect fit and really simple to install. 
The Ikea site has more  as well, including some really interesting ones with flexible hoses. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70054650

lazybone

Quote from: Sid Kushner on December 22, 2007, 06:13:34 PM
Ikea has a high quality chromed brass faucet for $39.00 with ceramic valves.  I replaced the Grohe on my 88 C30 and it was a perfect fit and really simple to install. 
The Ikea site has more  as well, including some really interesting ones with flexible hoses. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70054650

FWIW, buy a name brand faucet that you can buy repair parts for a few years from now..
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

lazybone

IKEA is the Swedish word for "CRAP"
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Tom

Vic Macau replaced his faucet IMMEDIATELY upon buying his new boat a few years ago.  He's a plumber by trade!   :D  He used a standard home kitchen or bathroom faucet with actual handles instead of the crazy hard-to-use Grohe faucet handles we all have.  I've learned to live with mine, (by using a J-cloth handy at the galley sink when my hands are wet) but when the seals start to go, I'll get in touch with Vic!

Another thought from the C36 board, who were discussing fresh water pumps:  they referenced another one of our "other sources for marine parts at non-marine prices" (like my favorite: ACE Hardware), try here:  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water-filters-fixtures-1.htm
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Lanzilli

Thanks for the help, I will let you know which model I finally settle on.  Currently I have my eye on the Kohler K-15160-CP.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

I was given the Scanvik Water Saver for a holiday present.  Just installed it last weekend, seems to work.  I'm tempted to leave the water faucets in the open position so that all I have to do is touch the wand and not have to worry about temperature and wasting water, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.  As noted, I'd been thinking about changing the faucet, too.  This could prove to be an interim solution before replacing the faucet.  It can also be clicked into a locked open position for regular faucet use.

Tom, that looks like a very pretty piece of equipment - I assume you've checked that the base dimensions will fit on the reduced area available.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Lanzilli

I replaced the faucet today, Kohler K-15160-CP, fit perfect and looks good.  Since the boat is on the hard I will not be able to test it until spring.  The Admiral will like this!
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

canuck

Tom, did you pull out the sink to do this job?
What did you use to connect the hot & cold water lines to the boat hoses?
I have had the original hot water line blow apart at the faucet and at the connector to the supply hose. My wife is paranoid about using the hot water system and would rather boil her dish water. These compression fitings are garbage and are an accident to happen to new 34 owners.
I also upgraded right off the bat to a Jabsco variable pump with a stand alone accumulator tank. The stock pump cycled like crazy and we spent a few hours checking all the connections.
Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks

Rick Johnson

Tom,

Can you post a picture?  I'd like to see how it looks.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Tom Lanzilli

I did pull out the sink to make the job a little easier on my body although I now believe this was not really necessary.  I first removed the draws to the right so I had easy access all around the sink.  The hot and cold water lines were connected using stainless steel flex lines which were a part of the actual faucet.  The water supply hoses go to a half inch threaded coupling then a half to 3/8 fitting which enables the faucet flex lines to connect to the water supply.  My 34 is a 2004 and came with a water pump with the diaphragm and no accumulator tank.  It works fine and the system has been reliable.  I will take some pictures in the next week or two when I get back to the boat showing the faucet and the connections.  It really looks nice, I even installed a soap dispenser.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Roc

Tom,
I'm very interested to see a picture of where you installed the soap dispenser.  When looking around my sink, I don't see where I could fit the bottle below the sink.  There doesn't seem to be the extra space needed, but then again, you seemed to have found it. 

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

When I did mine I cut a hole in the bulkhead between the sink and the dinette.  It's covered up with a the lower part of a Lexan back splash that the PO did, but you could cover it with anything as it hides behind the backrest cushion.  For fittings I got whatever worked to convert the faucet fitting to barbed fittings to clamp the supply lines onto.  Any home supply place or hardware store will have a selection of brass fittings that you can mix and match to make it work.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447