Steering access

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

Is the white plastic box hanging from the ceiling at the rear of the aft cabin  and located directly below the steering pedestal for access to the steering quadrant wires and pulleys?  Is it easy to remove and replace?
I want to inspect and oil my steering stuff, and I've installed dividers separating my aft lockers from the steering area.  Plus, standing on my head has never been one of my skills . . .
Thanks for any answers.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Steve Sayian

Wayne,

Yes the cover is the access to the steering.

You just remove the cross-tip screws and the cover comes right off.
Once off, you'll see the base of the pedestal, the cables and pulleys leading aft (and a maze of wires).  You'll also see the aft water tank and behind that is the rudder post, stuffing box and quadrant assembly.

I took mine off this fall to inspect the cables, stuffing box and steering assembly.  I have some pictures that I'll post this evening.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Guys : I've written this up before, but it's VERY IMPORTANT to note the length of the screws that you remove. 
If the longer screws from the top of that cover are put into the back panel you could put a hole in your aft water tank!!!  That happened to a 1988 C34 owner that I know.  So always pay attention to the length of the screws removed and the hole that they "should" go back into !!!!!!!!!!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Wayne

Thanks to everyone who posted--and especially the info about different length screws.  Without that advice, I can just see myself . . . well, you can all imagine the wet picture.
Thanks again to all!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

canuck

We have a 2004 MKII. Going down below or getting out through the two small lazarettes for inspections and maintenance has been a real problem due to the sloping hull configuration in the stern. It can be pretty slippery at times and handholds are nonexistent.
We solved this problem by cutting out a small circular portion out of the two stern seats with a jigsaw and lightly beveled the cuts to match the rest of the seat configuration. Cut just enough to get a good handhold and keep within the the confines of the existing screw holes. I used a round Tupperware container for a pattern. This was done to the inner front corners of each seat looking forward. This now makes the stern pulpit tubing a great handhold.