Ron's Windlass Project - Mark I Double Door Version

Previous topic - Next topic

jmnpe

Great article, Ron, in this month's Mainsheet describing your windlass installation. I looked for the full version in the Projects section and couldn't find it. Is it lost in the pipeline somewhere??

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Ron Hill

John : It's posted in Projects now.   :D 

See: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass-apache.html
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Blumenfeld

This is great!  Is it a straight shot from the bow roller to the windlass?  I currently have a manual windlass mounted behind the anchor doors. I haven't measured but it seems like the rode would not be parallel from the roller to the windlass and would have to angle down considerably where you installed the lexan. Do you have a picture with the anchor chain taut?

Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Paul : No I don't have a picture with the chain taunt - but it's a straight shot back from the roller to the gypsy!!! 
The lexan is there because the chain bounces up/down when you stop the windlass.  The first thing that you learn with an electric windlass is that if you pull up the chain in one long continuous pull -- you can't believe the MESS that is left - mud all over the place!!  Better to pull up a few feet at a time and get the chain clean, rather than pull it all in at once!!!  Believe ME!!   :cry4`/ :D
Ron, Apache #788

jmnpe

Ron,

That's just one more thing that makes the Chesapeake Bay fun!!!  :rolling

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Paul Blumenfeld

Thanks Ron.  I'll have to measure this weekend and get it installed soon.  Lifting the anchor with the manual is a pain when I'm out by myself. 

I like the price on the V700 since it's about half the price of the V1. But the Lewmar documentation says it only goes to 1/2" line.  Do you know if it would work with 5/8" line?  I just replaced my old 1/2" line last summer with 5/8" since it works in the manual Anchorman I currently have.  That extra 1/8" lets me sleep better at the islands.
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ron Hill

Paul : I don't believe that the V700 will handle 5/8" line, but here's what I'd do to make that work.  (If your nylon is braid on braid it MIGHT be OK - check with Lewmar).
I'd get 50 ft of 1/4" HT chain.  Then you can still use your new 5/8" nylon and hand pull it in until you get to the chain.  Then put the chain in the gypsy and turn on the windlass.  The only real pull on windlass is after you break out the anchor and are bringing it up - the last 15/20 feet!! 
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

BMhoch

Hey Ron
You mention that the up/down foot switch needed replacing.  Isn't it always exposed to weather on deck? Why did it fail?  Also, can you shed more light on the solenoid/control box.  What happened here, and what was it's replacement?  Other than that, I think it's great not to have the motor in the V berth!
Thanks
Bruce Hoch
Vanishing Point
#642 1988 Mark-1

waterdog

I installed a V700 this summer.  The boat came with a brand new 10 kg Bruce with 5/8" nylon.    I didn't sleep well at night - no fear of the rode breaking, just no confidence that the anchor would hold in blow.   Now I have the V700, 1/2" nylon, about 40 feet of chain and the heavier Bruce.   I sleep very well - and no back pain!    1/2" will stand up to any anchoring load you can put on it, just mind the chafe.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Bruce : What I said on the switch was that the one that came with the kit would not survive in an anchorwell environment  - it had an OPEN back (it was made for inside a cabin dashboard)!!!  That's why I went to a "UP" foot switch.  Then you need a solenoid for the up or down foot switch to work.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788