Golf cart batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

jfssail

About five years back I did a little research in Florida on Golf Cart batteries. After visiting a number of Golf Cart suppliers and asking about various batteries, I found many were disappointed with the life of theit Trojan 105 batteries, and were using a battery supplied by US Battery. The US battery used was their U2200.I also found , at the time Cosco stores were selling this battery for about $50.

Coming back to Ohio I found Cosco in Cleveland did not handle the US Battery brand. I got in touch with US Battery and they informed me that they supply this same battery to Interstate as model US2200. I contacted the local Interstate wholesaler and purchased 4 batteries $229.83. I had to enlarge my battery box to 20 1/2 " since the base of the two batteries measured 20 1/4"x6 3/4". Original box measured 20 1/8" x 8 1/8".
I now have had 4 seasons with these batteries, two of which were spent cruising the North Channel and Lake Michigan for 7 weeks The charged voltage for the pairs settles out at 12.73 V after a month of disconnected storage on the boat. They are still performing like new batteries after 4 seasons, and I expect to get another 3 years out of the sets.To say the least, I am very satisfied with these batteries and would never consider the higher priced Trojans.

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

Ted Pounds

Jon,
That was the every day low price, albeit a few years ago.  Here's the whole story:  The first golf cart batteries I bought at Sam's were $40 ea.  The charger that came with boat (a ferro-resonant)  cooked them after a couple of years.  When I replaced the charger and the batteries the price went up to $45 ea.  I think that was about 5 years ago.  They've been going strong ever since.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

One of my aunts told me: "Not all sales are bargains and not all bargains are sales."  Having spent much of the past almost 10 years trying to avoid paying list price for anything for our boat, I, like many of you, do a lot of comparison shopping.  Well before it became the "Evil Empire" I began to avoid West Marine.  For batteries, we have had a number of local C34 IA and Fleet 1 members advise on good deals they've had here in the SF Bay area.  I think I recall mentioning American Battery in Hayward, CA.  130 ah 12V wet cells for only $95 each two years ago when WMP's price was over $130.  Those kinds of "deals" only come from persistence and patience.  The same is true for any batteries, 12V, 6V, AGM or gel.

Ted brings up the valuable lesson about chargers and their impact on battery life.  The $ spent on a good charger is an almost instant return on your investment because of extended battery life.  So, those of you still with FlyBacks... (see reply #6 at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3716.0)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

our 1997 4-D boxes were a tad small.  On projects page we found nice pic and used that as our guide.  Cut new battery boxes leaving about 4" of depth and used screws and washers to hold in place.  As others have said, it is well worth the effort.  The Trojans (105's) are so much easier on the back, and they seemed to recharge faster and hold a charge longer.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Randy and Mary Davison

For northwesterners:

I tried 4 D125's from these folks this summer.  They are a local manufacturer in Seattle.

http://www.dynobattery.com/index.htm

They are carried by Fisheries Supply and are much less expensive than Trojans.  Time will tell if they are a bargain.

Randy
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Ted Pounds

I checked the current price at Sam's.  They're $61.48 now, still a good deal I think.  The key when you're buying batteries there is to check the manufacture date.  It'll be on a sticker somewhere on the battery.  Often a letter is used for the month instead of a number.  You want the newest, freshest battery you can get since they're not getting a charge while sitting on the shelf.  I have seen batteries as old as 6 months there.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Bill Asbury

John, I purchased a '91 C34 in '05 which came with a starting battery in the settee box forward of the galley and four Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries in the settee storage compartment just aft of the v-berth bulkhead.  Replaced the T-105s last year because they were 8 or 9 years old, tho still holding a charge.
Best wishes,
Bill Asbury
'91 C34 #1140
AVANTI
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay