Golf cart batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Following up on a couple of threads about batteries, I would like to know if anyone with a 1999 vintage MkII (Calypso is #1431) has replaced their 4Ds with 4 East Penn, Interstate or Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries. I have done measurements of the boxes holding the existing 4Ds and I am concerned that the golf cart batteries won't quite fit them. I would like to make the switch but I don't want to have to cut up or replace the existing boxes.

If you have done it I would love to hear about it.

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

sail4dale

I have a 2001 Mk II and replaced my 4D's with Trojan golf cart batteries.  I used the 125's and although a little higher they fit perfectly without much rearranging the storage space. 

I am happy with them and use them for all electrical.  I do not have a starting circuit battery and carry a "Coleman suitcase battery" that is a jump starter, emergency light, etc that is capable of starting the engine over three times without getting recharged.  I tried it out just in-case)

At anchor I can usually go for two or three days before I start up and charge the batteries. (with the refrig going all the time)
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Roger Blake

John--I have a 1998 (#1414) and ran across the problem you describe. I elected to split each battery case in half and fiberglass in the space needed to expand the boxes to allow the Trojans to fit. I ground down inside and outside the cut in each box to connect the new fiberglass to the old and to keep the boxes level (no humps in the transition). The larger (longer) boxes fit back into the same space (next to the water heater). So far, no problems.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

John Langford

Thanks folks. Roger, do you recall the absolute minimum you would have had to increase the internal box length to accommodate the two new Trojan batteries? The reason I am asking is that the East Penn batteries are just a bit smaller that the Trojans resulting in a saving of 1/4" when using two of them. Did you need more than a 1/4"?

I am assuming that the fiberglass box size must have changed between 1999 and 2001 although it seems odd that this would have happened as Catalina puts a lot of 4Ds into a lot of boats and the earlier box that Roger and I have certainly fits a 4D without a problem.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Roger Blake

John--I don't recall exactly; however, 1" (or a little more) sounds about right. The Trojans are 10 3/8" each, so each of my battery holders ended up around 20 3/4". The space I had available was 21"...so they just fit. Note, my battery boxes are flared at the top, so any measurements you make should be done from the bottom of the boxes. To get it right, I just cut the boxes in half, spread them apart, set the Trojans in the split box, and measured the gap I needed to glass...perfect fit. I'm going to the boat this weekend, so if you would like the exact measurement, let me know and I'll get it for you.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

John Langford

Thanks Roger.That is close enough so please don't go to any further effort. I appreciate the help and will ponder my options. The 2 4Ds in parallel have been fine for 9 years so I may just go with replacing them when the time is right. We rarely stay in an anchorage more than two days and I have never had any trouble with battery power especially as I carry a Honda 1000 generator on board and can give the batteries a bit of a poke via the charger if required.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

jmnpe

Hi guys,

As you have noticed, the overall length of a standard 4D at the top is about the same as a pair of golf cart batteries. However, the bottom of the case of an 4D is only about 19 inches and change. If you have a tapered battery box you have to give that consideration in your choice of alternate battery compositions. A pair of Lifeline AGM 4C (golf cart) batteries arranged end-to-end have a dimension of exactly 20.5 inches at the bottom of a battery box. A pair of Trojans will have a length slightly more than that at the bottom of the battery box.

If you have enough vertical clearance, you can block the golf cart batteries up higher with wooden spacers and sometime make then fit into the bottom of a tight 4D box.

For reference, the Trojan batteries in general are the best of the flooded cell golf cart batteries, and the T105 is the best energy bargain of the Trojan line. The Interstates are so-so, but certainly no T105 by any method of comparison. I have no personal experience with the East Penn golf cart batteries, but they also are probably not equal to the Trojans based upon their other battery offerings.

If you don't like the smell and maintenance of flooded cells, then go to the Lifeline GPL-4CT which is a sealed, no maintenance premium AGM deep cycle battery with impressive ratings. While they are nominally rated at 220 a-hrs at a 20 hr discharge rate, the actual reserve minutes numbers ( and my own testing ) indicate that a pair of GPL-4C Lifelines will provide more energy output at any discharge level of 25 amp or lower than even an 8D battery, and considerably more than a 4D battery, of any flavor, including Lifeline.

Just a little unsolicited commentary...

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Ron Hill

John : Great info!!  I've always noted that the AGM batteries usually have one more year of warrentee that flooded batteries. 
I'll suspect that the cost is a bit higher, but then you pay for what you get!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

From those of us with aging backs (among other things :D)

4D batteries are VERY HEAVY.  I have found that replacement of anything heavy with two or more smaller things is invariably a healthier approach.

Whether or not the old heavy banks have lasted nine years appears to be an inconclusive issue, given the energy budget, usage and the technical capabilities of golf cart batteries, AGMs, or even smaller 12V batteries, compared to 4Ds.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe_A

Being a newbie....
Why use Golf cart Batteries ? Is it the size or longevity  of the battery or Cost $$ ?

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe_A

Great Information   Thank You     :clap

Jon Schneider

6v batteries tend to provide a higher amp-hour delivery for the same footprint because they run a little taller, and their plates can be thicker.  Most 6v products also claim to be more reliable and deliver more cycles than average.  They're definitely more expensive, however, even on an amp-hour basis.  I think Stu's got the right idea that for the comparable footprint of a 4D, I'd rather tote half the weight in a 6v package.  I'm converting to 6v batteries because they fit perfectly in the Mark I starboard settee box (as I'm sure two 4Ds would, but they would require a mate to install them). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ted Pounds

Jon,
I would disagree with the more expensive part.  I paid $45 ea. for my golf cart batteries at Sam's Club.   That's $90 for 220 Ah at 12v.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a deep cycle 4D for that price.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

Ted, I think you found an extraordinarily good deal.  Is this an everyday offering/price or some kind of close-out, one-of-a-kind deal?  I'm also a big fan of the you-get-what-you-pay-for theory (at least within reason); I seem to get burned every time I take up a good deal.  But I'm hoping you got a whole lot more than you paid for  :clap
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA