Foredeck Bulb on MK II Mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

Somehow this season my foredeck bulb got broken.  Noticed broken glass just below the mast one day.
The mast is down and the bulb receptacle has the 2 pins of the bulb in it.

My question is; is this the same halogen-type bulb used in the interior lights or a completely different bulb?

I can't tell by looking at the fixture.  There is no eveidence of a lens cover on the fixture which leads me to believe it is a weatherproof bulb.

I looked in the latest C-34 Users Manual and found no reference to any mast bulbs.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Jon Schneider

Are you talking about the deck-spot component or the steaming light component?  I would doubt that there's any similarity with either of the bulbs and interior bulbs, but that's just a guess on my part.  The lamps are probably made by different manufacturers, and everything on a boat is difficult, right? ;)  BTW, if it's the steaming light component, you're probably going to have to replace the whole fixture (happens all the time), because that bulb is covered in clear cover in all the models I'm familiar with (just happened to me also, so I've done some research).  I've actually had this happen to me twice in the last three years, so I'm going to replace the fixture and protect it in a cage that Defender (and probably others) sells. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Steve, Catalina could have used different manufacturers for those fixtures.  Aqua Signal is one and Forespar is the other.  You need to find the fixture you have, try an online catalog or WM's printed catalog, and figure out what you have to find the proper replacement bulb.  The steaming light is encased behind a lens, sometimes the deck lights are bulbs enclosed within a protective sheath.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tonywright

Steve

Take a look at the Mast manual that I had posted to the site. There is a good chance that the light is the same as for the in-mast furling. This is the Hella 8505, in which case the bulb is a 12v 20W. 

Here is the part number and spec for the replacement from Hella Marine:

"Base - GX 5,3
Hella bulbs are quality products sourced from major bulb manufacturers. Hella Marine long-life bulbs are an exclusive development from Hella, with the objective of significantly reducing failure frequency compared to earlier marine bulb designs. 
12V / 20W PK 22s
Part Number:
8GH 998 529-001"

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Steve : Believe what Stu told you. 
Catalina has used different fixtures that sister boats could have different manufactures.  If you want to be sure take a trip up the mast, you may have only a corroded socket!! 
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I replaced mine with the same halogen bulb that is used on the "Frilight" fixtures all through the interior of my 1999 boat. Works like a charm.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S