Princess Louisa Inlet

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

We have never been to Princess Louisa Inlet so we are planning a trip there next year in late June or early July.  First, I welcome any comments from those who have traveled there, and second, would anyone like to join us and make a Fleet 5 cruise out of it?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ray & Sandy Erps

Greetings Jack and Ruth,

A short side trip on the way up is to stop off at Egmont and walk the short hike to Skookumchuck Narrows to see it running at 15 knots.  It's an awesome sight.

Here's a link of a kayaker in the standing wave there on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxgpUJE5tNc

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jack Hutteball

Hi Ray and Sandy,
Wow, spectacular place!  Looks like a place to keep a 34 foot sail boat out of.  Is Edgemont a good place to stop on the way in to Princess Louisa?  We plan to head up through the Gulf Islands and hop across from Nanimo and stop someplace before we head up the inlet.  I assume that is the best way to be able to time a slack water arrival at Malibu rapids.

Looks like you are enjoying your new boat.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ray & Sandy Erps

Egmont is one of the last stops before heading up the reaches.  You can either tie up at the Govt dock, which is very close to the trail head to Skookumchuck narrows, or you can tie up a little further away at a small private marina that has some nice onshore facilities.

As far as hitting Malibu at slack, it is a necessity if it's against you but you can go through with the current and you might even think it's fun if you enjoy rollercoaster rides and stuff like that.  It gets a little squirrelly though.  You won't regret going up there.  It's breathtaking.

We're having a great time with the "new to us" boat but it actually took a little time for Sandy to warm up to it.  She really loved "Diamond Girl" and it had some features that we both miss.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ray & Sandy Erps

We have an official shove off date of July 4th.  We're buddy boating up with our daughter and son-in-law on their Catalina 27.  He has never been to Princess Louisa before so it may be on our itineary as well.

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jack Hutteball

Ray,
That is the date we are shooting for to head out.  It looks like Craig Illman and his wife Linda will be heading out with us on their boat "Espresso".  Checked the tide tables and the tide/currents for the 7-10th are good for an afternoon arrival and a morning leaving.  We have not set our itinerary yet, but Ruthie and I plan to be out at least 3 weeks.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ray & Sandy Erps

Three weeks for us too.  Sounds like a little Armada heading north.  We haven't bumped into Craig yet.  Maybe that will change this summer.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Craig Illman

I'm not sure we'll be leaving right on the 4th, we might need to wait until Sunday the 6th and try to catch up with Jack & Ruthie. We haven't pinned down much of an itinerary yet either, other than to dash north to catch the dates Jack mentioned. I only have two weeks, unless I try to change careers.

I'm just getting over a broken ankle, so I'm pretty itchey to get out on the water. Certainly ready to get past this cool, stormy weather!

Craig

Ray & Sandy Erps

Well, the kids had to back out, so we're travelling north solo this year.  The tides really suck this year for travelling during banker's hours around July 4th.  We'll probably try and head out the evening of July 3rd, maybe July 4th and travel in the afternoons till around supper time.  We haven't decided yet where we're going yet, but we'll probably be around Nanaimo around the 6th or 7th, either at New Castle Island or the boat basin and we'll try and monitor the VHF a little better this year in case anyone is in the neighborhood.  (got an outside speaker installed last weekend, so that will help) 

Anyone else firming up their itinerary yet?

Also, I've been reading mixed information on passport requirements to get back into the country.  At first I thought a passport was required, but then I've read if you don't have a passport, photo ID and a birth certificate will still get you in.  Anyone have the straight scoop on that?
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jack Hutteball

Ray,
We had something come up delaying our early july departure, so it looks like Craig and I will both be leaving on the morning of the 6th.  Our rough schedule is:

Anacortes to Bedwell customs to Otter bay or Montigue -6th
Otter bay/Montigue to Nanimo thru Dood Narrows about 2:00 -7th
Nanimo to Pender or Egmont -8th
Egmont to Princess Louisa slack water about 5:00 -9th
Stay a couple of days then work our way back through the Gulf Islands.  Think we may be out a little longer than Craig as we don't have to be back to work. Will just go where wind and currents seem to work best and stop at places we have not been before (many).

Never knowing how the rules change for customs, we just always carry our passports - no worries.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Craig Illman

Fleet 5 - Jack's departure has been delayed, but we're still leaving on Sundy, the 6th, following the aforementioned itinerary. We have reservations at Fisherman's Marina/Resort in Pender Harbor on Sat/Sun 12/13 to swap crew. We plan to head back to Gabriola Passage to enter back into the Gulf Islands on Monday, then probably back into the San Juans around Thursday, returning to Anacortes on Sunday, the 20th.

Randy Davison left on Tuesday heading north to the Broughtons for about three weeks, I believe. For our C34 members from the northern Salish Sea, keep an eye out for Espresso, Gorbash & Mariah III and give us a wave!

Craig

Craig Illman

Status report - In Nanaimo on the evening of July 7th. C34 count the past two days is three. Hull 1770 between Sucia and Orcas on Sunday and a Mark I from Missoula this morning at Montegue Harbor in the Gulf Islands. Not sure how many tacks it would take to get your C34 over Lolo Pass between Montana & Idaho.

Heading across the Straits of Georgia tomorrow morning. Not much wind in the forecast. Hope to have a picture to post by Saturday evening as we sail into the mountains.

Craig

Randy and Mary Davison

Guess we might as well continue this thread for trip reports!  Gorbash is in Greenway Sound on Broughton Island.  We're leaving in the morning for Tracy Harbour or Macenzie Inlet for a few days and then to Blunden Harbour for a few days.  We don't have to be back in Anacortes until July 30 but not sure when we'll start south.  It depends on the weather. If it stays cool and showery here, we may spend a week in Desolation to warm up before working our way home.

The marina operators say the activity here is down about 50% from last year.  The marinas are pretty open and most bays only have a boat or two.  The wildlife is here and have seen 3 bears and various other critters.

We've seen one other C34 in these waters and that was named Nemaste based in Vancouver.  We pulled in next to them in Echo Bay.  Nice folks.

How is (was) Princess Louisa?

Randy and Mary
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Craig Illman

Saturday afternoon at Pender Harbor. Jack's itinerary has worked out perfectly for us, too bad he got delayed. The weather has been perfect with the temps in the high 70's every day and mostly clear. I think I've only burned 7 gal of fuel since Nanaimo and have gone about 135-140 miles since Tuesday morning. We're taking a break to swap crew and plan to cross back west on Monday morning.

Heard the forecast for Johnstone Strait. 35 knots sounds like too much fun for me!

Craig

Randy and Mary Davison

Monday and in Port McNeill to do laundry and restock.  Weather has been just plain cold - high 50s to low 60s max.  We're going to begin slowly moving south until it warms up.  Johnstone is fine most mornings about 4:30.  Delay and you're toast!

Randy
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe