Maximum speed

Previous topic - Next topic

Fou Du Large

Wow!

In a race last weekend
I surf  my Catalina at 11.2 knots on the GPS.   
Wind 28-30 Kn.
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Randy Stolze

Yikes! Get the water skies ready.

What was your sail set?

How did you do in the race?
Randy

Fou Du Large

One reef and genoa 135% full unrolled ...

Wind at 110 - 130 deg. apparent.   28 - 30 kn.

I was very very busy. I think that i had too much sail, but the others guy had much than me  :shock:

On the first leg friday night i was on second place.
Saturday second leg nine place :cry4` big trouble at start. ... no spi...
Sunday i was second with a 19 sec.  with the first
Total of the weekend i was at the third place.
That's ok for me and mama... only...
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

tommyt

They do surf pretty well. Hit 11 on the GPS and 10.5 on the speedo a coupld of years ago. Got caught with everything up on our tall rig with a 130 while running downwind. Wind built to 30 kts with 4-5' waves. We were having so much fun, and she was handling it well, so we kept it up for over an hour before the wind settled back down. I swear at times that bow wave was 2" from making us a submarine! Great boat!!!!!
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Stu Jackson

So we got down the boat on Friday for a Fleet 1 Cruise to Corinthian Yacht Club.  Since I've been "back on the boat" regularly now, I'd been meaning to clear the knot meter, which had gunked up over the past few months.  You know, I put if off, and put it off...

Imagine our surprise when the thing actually worked as we were motoring out!

The quarterly diver service had come the day before, and cleared it out for me from outside and underwater!  How cool is that?

I avoided the sea water under the V berth, and the thingie's workin' again.

Know I never trusted its readings, so we ran the measured mile course, and now know the offset - it reads 15% to 20% high.  So either I calibrate it or make the mental corrections necessary, hmm, 6.0 knots less 15% to 20% is?????
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."