"Time to Keel" in Huntington, NY

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

After getting great advice from my last posting, I tought I'd try again.

I'm looking to make an offer on a boat currently for sale in Huntington, NY. It's a 1988 named "Time to Keel". The vendor broker has not been the most helpfull with me or my broker. My offer will be conditional on inspection and a survey. Since the trip down is still signifcant, It would be nice to know that the boat is in reasonable condition (i.e. skip alltogether if it's not).

Has anybody seen this boat before and if so, how recent? Does anyone live in Huntington and maybe willing to take a look?

Thank you very much in advance,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : I don't know how far away from "Time to Keel" you are, but if you are even remotely interested - I'd recommend that you look at the boat yourself !!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

No boat by that name is a member of the C34IA.  Can you get the hull (sail) number?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

I'm surprised Coney's isn't treating you right.  It's a family-run brokerage, and actually has a great reputation.  They've always treated me well when I've gone there to kick the tires (obviously they should, but many brokers won't).  Stu and Ron, here's the boat (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp?&units=Feet&currency=USD&ro=3&r=1460138&rs=yachtworld.com&rt=Cruiser,%20Cruiser/Racer,%20Racer&boat_id=1460138&checked_boats=1460138&Ntk=boatsEN&hmid=0&sm=3&enid=0&luom=126&currencyid=100&toLength=34&cit=true&boatsAddedSelected=-1&fromLength=34&ftid=0&man=catalina&slim=quick&spid=131&city=huntington).  Pierre, I agree with Ron, you're going to have to see it yourself.  Just from the pictures, she looks to be well taken care of, and she's priced appropriately.  The specs/write-up on the listing is pretty skimpy so it suggests that she's pretty bare bones (e.g., only a hand-held GPS and I suspect the instruments are probably pretty old).  The sails are "about" ten years old; at least they're not the originals (that's what my 1990 came with).  The pictures are primarily of the interior (which I suppose is what many people buy) and that looks very well maintained (nice varnish job, which is not how these boats came out of the factory).  Coney's also has another 34 ('89) and another broker in the area has yet another ('87), all below $50k, so a trip would probably be very worth while.  Huntington's a nice town, and there three others for sale nearby, as well as one in NYC and one across the Long Island Sound in Mamaroneck (only 45 minute drive from Huntington).  You could have a very fun weekend. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Sundance

I inquired about this boat 2 years ago when it was priced at $49k.  I too was not well received by the broker.  Having purchased my C34 a year ago my, your experience is starting to sound much like mine...a lot of questions and no answers.  Personally, if a broker is vague and you can't get clear, trusted answers I would move on.  I bought, but it was mainly due to location and convenience, and I knew I was in for some work.  Other advice, since it hasn't been in the water for almost 2 years (I assume) you will end up buying a boat with no sea trial like I did, ask for money in escrow to cover unforeseen problems.  I didn't because the broker talked me out of it, but that won't happen on the nest boat I buy.  With the number of C34's that are bought and sold I am suspicious as to why this one has not moved in 2 years.

Sorry for being negative, but as you can tell my boat buying experience was not great mainly due to the broker.  I will say one year later I couldn't be happier but have done a lot of work.

Good luck.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

pjcomeau

I've gotten more info (the broker has been more cooperative and even took additional photos) and put a conditional offer (inspection and survey) after settling on a price. I'm heading down in two weeks (A same day return trip using points). I'm hoping to get a surveyor there at the same time. Anyone have a surveyor in the area they would recommend?

I also got the hull number. It's 687. Anyone have comments about previous history?

If things go well, I should become a new catalina owner by the end of the year...

-PC
Pierre Comeau

Stu Jackson

PC  check your personal message in-box
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ted Pounds

Here's the guy that did my survey in Connecticut 12 years ago.  He let met over-the-shoulder him while he did the survey.  He was VERY thorough and answered all my questions.  I highly recommend him.   :thumb:

Dexter A. Holaday
Dexter A. Holaday & Company
P. O. Box 9201
Noank, CT 06340   

Phone: 860 536-8573
Fax: 860 536-6137
NAMS Status: NAMS-CMS   Send a Message
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

prh77

I live in Huntington and have looked at the 34 you are considering. As I understand the situation, there were engine/fuel tank issues with this boat. Last spring it was listed at $49,000. No offers. I have a guy that surveyed my 34 (at Coneys) this spring. Very pleased with his work. I can be contacted at PRH77@verizon.net. I live approx. 3 minutes from Coneys and know the sales staff way to well. Will be happy to help.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

pjcomeau

PRH77,

I sent you a personal message. Other than the fuel tank (which they tell me has been replaced), what were your thoughts?

The boat was back in the water this summer according to Coneys (they've been more helpfull recently).

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau

Stu Jackson

Pierre, I've been following this with much interest.  It appears that:

1.  The boats is in good cosmetic condition.

2.  There are questions about:
             a.  The fuel tank - which has been reported to have been replaced
             b.   The engine itself

If the fuel tank has indeed been replaced, get them to show you the work order and the yard bill with the description of what they did.  Issues include a new tank sender to the fuel gage (which could easily have been done when they were doing the work), wiring, fuel pump, and new fuel lines to the engine.

If the engine remains a question, unless the recommended good surveyor is an engine expert, or you yourself are, you'll need an engine mechanic you can trust to run the engine and find out what it needs.  And just any "good old" engine mechanic may not do; it would be wise to find someone who is intimately  familiar with the M25XP that's most likely on the boat.

Ted Pounds

If it was replaced with a Catalina OEM fuel tank then it came with a new sender and new fittings.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

pjcomeau

:santa

I've gone ahead with this boat! The survey showed a very clean boat. I flew to NY last Friday for a personal inspection with the surveyor (came to meet me and showed me around the boat. Included in survey price). Final payment on it's way. Haulers all set to pick up this coming Tuesday...

I guess I should become a member for the additional great information...

Thanks
Pierre Comeau

tonywright

Congratulations Pierre. Hope the journey North goes well!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jon Schneider

Pierre, I'm very psyched for you.  I'll be she's a beaut!  And, welcome to a great community of owners; I think our group makes a really great boat even better.  I hope you have many happy days of sailing (and improving) your C34. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA