Coolant Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

hdevera

I have a 2001 Catalina 34 which inexplicably is leaking coolant into the bilge (at a slow rate).  I have attempted to locate the leak without success.  I haven't done a pressure test but thought I'd ask if anyone had a similar problem and might aid me with a quick solution.

Jim Rose

Last winter I experienced the same problem.  Check to see what your level of coolant is at the expansion tank located in the cockpit lazaret.  If that level is down the problem might be that your pressure cap on the engine might be weeping.  It will run down the manifold and you will see some anti freeze in the bilge.  I replaced my pressure cap and it's been fine since.  This problem only occurs over the winter while the boat is in storage.  My friends 34 also had the same problem; they are both 2000 MKII.
Hope this helps you.

Roc

I have a 2000 mkII and had a similar experience.  It was the hose that runs over the heat exchanger.  Apparently, one side couples to a 1-1/4" connection and the other couples to a 1-1/8" connection.  Both ends of the hose are of the smaller diameter, which when Universal attached it to the larger connection, it must have damaged the inner plys.  As a result, the hose was delaminating over time and anti-freeze would leak when the engine was running.  A mechanic replaced the hose, but it is a type that is more pliable.  It fits the larger connection perfectly, and the clamp is able to conform the hose to the smaller connection.  I've had no more leaks.  Run the engine and see if anti-freeze is coming from any of the two connections.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

hdevera

It was a leak from a hose above the alternator.  The leak was from the underside of the hose connection and I just needed to tighten the hose fastner.  It does seem that this is a common problem.  I got several emails that were not posted from people who had similar experiences.   Thanks. :)