Water Heater

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

This was posted on another site.

"i would just like to throw in an oft-overlooked recommendation regarding the water heaters....

it is a very good idea to switch your engine antifreeze/coolant to a non-tox variety when you are also using it for a water heater...

while i understand that very few people actually drink the water that is stored on the boat, and even less drink water from the 'hot' side... it is a relatively inexpensive change that can prevent some accidental ingestation of poisonous coolant in case a small leak develops in the water heater..."

I did not dissassemble my old heater, but I was under the impression that the engine coolant tube is a continous tube from input to output to prevent this.  Can anyone verify?

I was also under the impression that the pink stuff isn't designed for use in the engine?  True/False?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve McGill

Ken,

You make an excellent point.

While I have never had a leak on my onboard water heater, for safety and the environment it makes sense to use a less toxic product.

The non toxic stuff we use for winterizing our fresh water drinking systems is not a substitute for the ethylene glycol (EG) antifreeze currently utilized in most of our engines.  It does not have the proper properties for corrosion protection and high temperatures.

Sierra and others makes an excellent safer substitute for our engines.

We utilize  :thumb: our onboard water system for drinking, cleaning dishes and showers. A properly commissioned and maintained water system insures quality water without any offending taste.

Steve McGill
:thumb:
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

These issues are always important.  What I've noticed is that somehow the same "topic" or issue seems to "make the rounds" of 'boards within a short period of time.  It might be just the dynamic of the internet, or could it be that one person is aksing the same question all over the place? :D :D :D

Here's my "find" from another 'site:  http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?&fno=21&uid=73200280089&sku=2007302170908.96
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Ken,

If you have the Seaward 6-gallon water heater, the engine heating element is literally a curved piece of pipe inside that goes directly from the input side to the output side.  No coils, no vanes, nothing.
I know this because the aluminum tank in my previous Cat 30 ruptured and I had to have it welded and saw the insides.
Regards,
Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass