Installing S1 rudder tansducer

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

I have been searching for tips on installing the S1 rudder tranducer on a 1988.  Thanks to Bill G and Willie.  I've seen the photos on line but I believe I may have a different configuration as my aft water tank is direct below the steering quadrant, leaving about 1" of clearance.   Anybody else tried this out with the same config?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : FYI, most 1986 C34s only had a starboard and forward water tank!!   Most 1987 thru 1993 C34s have an aft & starboard tank.  :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Steve, because of the many similarities of our boats, I suggest you also try the C36 Association website.  Their site is arranged differently from ours, so you may need some time to spend there to learn how to get around.  Their home page has a lot of what we call "Projects" and they also have a good search engine.  there's also their message board (you have to sign up for it), but since they depend on their email "List" for daily discussions, it unfortunately doesn't have everything they discuss like this one does.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kaplan

ron, fyi, my '86 #219 has the aft tank and the starboard tank and steve, you are correct that there is only about a 1" clearance between the tank and steering pedistal.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Steve S.

Went on the C36 website and got some good ideas.  I think I may be able to figure this out, it looks like alot of swearing is required.  Wish Raymarine had listed that under the required tools.

Just FYI, the rudder sensor is not optional, but Raymarine may come out with a new S1 model that makes the rudder sensor optional.  We'll see. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Jon Schneider

It sounds like you've figured it out already, but I installed one this year along with a below-deck Raymarine S1G autopilot.  It's actually a pretty straightforward procedure.  The part can hang from the ceiling of the deck sole, and the Edson quadrant has some fairly convenient machined screw holes at the forward section that you can brace a small piece of wood or metal (I used a 1"x1"x3" piece of teak) to serve as a mount for the mating end of the transducer.  I can take a picture of my installation in a week or so and send it to you if you like.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Steve S.

Thanks Jon,  But got it installed, and I was correct, much swearing was involved in the procedure.  Took it  out for seal trial and got the deviation set, but I could never find the auto learn feature.  Also, while it holds a steady course, it as quickly as I would like, seems to only move the wheel just a few degrees when hitting the +10 button.  I suspect its the rudder gain and counter rudder settings, but it got too cold to fool around with it.  I'll see how it goes next Spring.   
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

A search on "Catalina Cocktail" finds this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3560.0

See the bottom of reply #1.

Should help you next spring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."