Towing WAKE - UP !

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : Ran into a problem today that meant shutting down the engine (more on that some other time).  Then the wind quit!  I checked into being towed 12.8NM with Boat US towing.  I was not in an isolated area.  The costs were between $800 and $1100 - No I didn't make a typo!!!

Guess that with inflation and the increased fuel costs, the bottom line is that anthing less than "unlimited towing" is worthless - so don't bother with any lesser programs !!!!!!   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Steve McGill

Ron,

When I looked into BoatUS insurance I quickly determined that I would quickly made back my initial
investment if I need a tow, but the only option that would cover everything was the "unlimited" option.

I figured that the cost of a tow is between $140-170 an hour from the time I contact them until they leave me at the dock of my destination.

This spring my engine quit (fresh water pump seized). I had just entered the channel into the Rappahannock River. A total of 2.5 miles took 1.5 hours start to finish. Being towed is slow to insure no damage to either vessel. Needless to say I payed for my insurance that day.

Hope the wind picked up for you.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Terry Forshier

Unlimited means different things to different compnanies. In my area ,SW Florida, UNLIMITED from Boat US means 25 miles each way from their dock. To Sea Tow it means Unlimited. So if one is crossing from Naples/Marco area in SW Florida, a 100 mile trip, to either of three destinations, Marathon, Key West or the Dry Tortugas you are not ocovered for 50% of the time on the first two and not covered for 80% of the time going to the Dry Tortugas (if you have unlimited by BOAT us). Sea Tow will come and get you unlimited. Explained by Sea Tow operators at Ft, Myers Boat Show and confirmed ther by the BOATUS booth there also.

David Arnold

Before purchasing a membership with a towing company I would suggest checking with your insurance company first.  I ran into a problem a few years ago when my engine quit and I needed a tow.  Had to pay the tow company on the spot but I was reimbursed for towing by my insurance company.  It is worth seeing what coverage you have or could possibly pick up for less than membership with a towing company.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707