10 amp breaker for 20 amp charger?

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundance

I have a 1989, but I am looking at the 2004 Manual for wiring upgrade info, more specifically the 12V wiring diagram, it shows the 20 amp charger comming from a 10 amp breaker at the panel.  I am looking to revise my wiring to place a dedicated breaker for my 20 amp charger, but it seems to me I would want a 20 amp breaker.  It seems to me I could never "max out" my charger (good or bad) meaning I would trip the breaker at the panel, before I could get the full potential out of the charger.  Is this correct?  Any input would be helpful.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Craig Illman

It would be a lot less confusing if the chargers were rated in watts, instead of amps. 12v X 20A = 240 Watts.  Assuming maybe 70% efficiency, 240 Watts divided by 120 volts divided by .7 equals less than 3 amps. Your ten amp breaker should be fine. Check the specs for your charger on the manufacturer's website, if you don't have the manual aboard.

Craig

Sundance

Makes sence when you explain it that way.  Thanks.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Ted Pounds

Craig is right.  If you're asking about the AC breaker for power going to the charger 10 amp is perfect.  The output has it's owm internal fuse.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447