Rudder post gland

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gardner

I am getting salt water in the dimple aft of the propeller shaft support securing nuts.  I can't think that it is coming from anywhere other than the rudder post.  Unless someone perusades me that there are other options, it looks as though I shall be exploring this area over winter this year.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, what to look for?  Am I right in thinking that the rudder stock is in a fiberglass sleeve/housing that is part of the hull and extends above the water line?  I think I've read that there is a gland at the top of it.  What is that like, how does it seal - is it like a propellor shaft stuffing box?  Assuming I have to do something there, I presume it is not necessary to have room to drop the rudder? 
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Stu Jackson

John

It's right here on your website:  in FAQs:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html

I continue to recommend that those of you with older boats get very familiar with the material in FAQs and Projects.  Please, if you even just SKIM the highlights of the material, without even reading all of it, you just might remember that "You saw it Here."

The hour a week you choose to do that could come in handy to you someday.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

might also take a look at this.  Are the bolts that hold the strut to the keel showing any signs of rust?  I too was occasionally getting some water in the dimple.  Turned out to be this.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2792.0
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

John Gardner

Thank you Stu, that's just what I wanted.  I did look, honest, and as a result I've read all about leaky rudders, but I didn't find this.

Ken, I spent a fair bit of money with the boat yard last winter digging into the glass around the strut, only to conclude the water was not entering that way.  From the inside, the rust around the bolts makes it look as though water is coming in through the bolts, but when some of the fiber glass was cut away on the outside, it was clean and dry, so we gave that up.  I decided the rust was resulting from water dribbling past the bolts from the dimple.

Thanks for the thought.

John Gardner

I went looking at the rudder post and found the top and aft side perfectly dry.  The forward side, down in the dimple looks a bit as though it might be weeping.  Difficult to see with the water tank in place, and I can't think why damage would occur in that place.  Have to wait for winter haul out to look further.

Meanwhile here's a photo to supplement the very good sketch Stu found.  It may be helpful to someone.