Dockside Power

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Since slip fees here in northwest Florida are getting steeper each year, I recently bought a 50' dock property on a deep water canal.  All other things being equal, Breezer fits best with her starboard side against the dock - unfortunately her dockside power fitting is on port!  I want to install a fitting directly opposite the existing fitting and perhaps one in the anchor locker bulkhead.  Has anyone had any experience with this kind of project?  Any advice would be welcome!

Mike

pklein

Be sure you check with somebody who knows about electricity.  If you recall, the fittings on the boat are male plugs.  If you have multiple boat fittings without any switching between them, connecting shore power to one will energise all of them at 110V.  If somebody (think child!!)opens the cover and touches the male plugs they could get a nasty shock.

I have been considering putting a receptacle in my anchor locker also and felt if I did this that I would disconnect the factory installed portside fitting from the AC panel.  I believe the shore input goes directly from the fitting to the GFI receptacle at the panel.  Check the factory wiring diagram or trace it to be sure.

BTW I currently leave my power cord connected to the boat and store the excess in the anchor locker when I'm leaving the slip.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

Mike Smith

Thanks for the tip, Phil!  I intend to mount a three way AC switch at the Nav station with Port/Stbd/Bow input positions to avoid the situation you described.  My mechanic was concerned with someone inadverdently plugging another power cord into the boat and suggested the switch.  I don't know why, but unplugging and coiling the power cord has been something I have always hated!

Mike