Mast head anchor light bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I asked this question before but it was buried in a long exchange about lighting.

I want to replace my masthead anchor light bulb with an LED bulb. I have Hella nav lights at deck level on my 1999MK II but I haven't climbed to the masthead to see if the anchor light is also Hella and check the bulb type. Does anyone know if it is a Hella "all around" light and if the bulb is a Bay(onet) 15S? I am hoping that the DR LED Polar Star 40 is the right bayonet bulb but I don'twant to order one if it isn't. See: http://www.doctorled.com/p21.htm
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

tonywright

I have contributed the mast manual for the furling mast by Charelston spar. Look under manuals on the home page. It provides all the specs for lights etc.  I expect it is the same for both furling and non-furling masts on the MK II.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

John Langford

Thanks Tony. The manual is helpful. I am still suspicious enough by nature that unless someone can actually confirm what light is up there, I will have to haul myself up to have a look.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Steve Sayian

John,

My boat is coming out Sep 26 and the mast is coming down.  I can let you know what I find at the mast light.  We are only a couple hull numbers away from each other and the masts (hopefully) are the same.
Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

John Langford

That would be great, Steve. I will hang on for your report.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Steve Sayian

John,

Finally got the mast down this weekend.
The bulb at the top is a bayonet-type 12 volt, 10 Watt bulb made in Italy (go figure).
I have a couple pictures of it but they are too large for this site.
If you send me an email, I'll foreward them to you.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

John and Steve

For posting photos, if you are pC (not Mac), try this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3701.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

John : It's almost impossible to answer your question for certain - Catalina has been known to use differant items if the ran out to keep the production line moving!
The only way to be sure is to make a trip up the mast and look at the fixture.  MOST anchor lights that Catalina used are a double base bayonet bulb. 
Just don't want you to buy the wrong item.  :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Another question was asked about this topic recently (last year or so).  Ron's right, they keep (& kept) changing material.  A search on "Perko" will find some references to your question.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."