Marina Tips

Previous topic - Next topic

DougP

Odd question, but something we debated over dinner last night:

Do you tip the dock help when they help you tie up or launch? Not talking about casual help, but marina employees at some nicer marinas and some resorts.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Joe Kern

I always tip the fuel guys at our marina fuel dock a few bucks.  They remember it and always end up helping when we leave the dock or the next time.  Of course getting fuel every 2 0r 3 months it is not a big deal.

Our only other marina visits are usually in the Bahamas.  We always tip the dock guys and over the years have gotten all kinds of little benefits like ice delivery, forgetting to charge us for water and free use of a power cord extender.

I work for a restaurant company and as a result am pretty much a over-tipper generally.  Folks in those service jobs are generally hard-working and underpaid.  Tipping makes me feel a little less guilty as I pull up in my $100k sailboat.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Joe and Carol

Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Roc

Out of curiosity, what should a reasonable tip be?  For restaurants, 15-20% is the norm, but how about dock line helpers?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Heyman

re: dock line helpers: Is it "so much" per foot?, Seriously though, I do tip these guys ususally a buck or two depending on circumstances and whether they go the extra "yard" for you.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Kyle Ewing

Many years ago in Ft. Lauderdale dockhands expected a buck a foot for the 64' boat I was on.  The captain said that was rediculous. 

In Chicago I'll tip only if they're helpful, usually $2-3 for fuel (15-20%) or $5 for fuel and pumpout.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

sdaly66

I always tip, a bit more if it's young people doing a summer job.

Usually 2-3 dollars per person. 

However, I am also not afraid to NOT tip if the service is poor.