Piezoelectric engine alarm

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

The Catalina engine panel (for the Mk-IIs at least) incorporates a continuous/intermittent (oil prsssure/water temperature) piezoelectric engine alarm made by ICC, Mfr no: BRP4535S -24-CD. The tend to fail because of their exposure to the elements. I found the exact alarm at Allied Electronics (www.allied.com) for $7.95. They ship fast from Texas for Americans and for Canadians, from Toronto, thus avoiding onerous customs brokerage costs. Very good service.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

sailmed

Thanks for the information.  The alarm on LOON died after the first season.  I spent an hour troubleshooting before realizing it was the alarm unit itself!

Please note that the web site listed in the original post is incomplete, and will get you to a moving company "Allied Van Lines"

Instead, use www.alliedelec.com and you will get through.

I ordered two, and will keep one for a spare.

I may also try to find a nice little snap on cap to cover the alarm when not in use  :?

Jeff_McKinney

Barry,

Your idea sounds good if there is no other way to keep rain and spray out when not sailing (like the canvas helm cover), but I'd be concerned about trapping moisture inside the alarm unit and accelerating the corrosion process.  :cry4`
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : I'd think that the MKII engine panel should be weather proof.  Also the heat from the engine instrument lights should keep things inside fairly dry-ed out.  I've closed up the top half of the holes that "let the sound out" on my MKI. 
Maybe you need to examine the gasket for a break or brittleness?  Some silicone spray works wonders on keeping "rubber" gaskets nimble.  A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

Hi Ron,
The panel box is fine so this is not about water gaining access to the inside of the panel. The alarm on the MK IIs is attached to the outside of the panel and therefore is in the weather. It deteriorates over time and needs replacing.

Just one small example of the difference between a MK1 and a MKII :)
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S