Mast Lights Out

Previous topic - Next topic

fbien

1986 C34 - All mast lights out, appears to be a short between the panel and the lights.  Any common places to look first?

pklein

Check your ground connection.  On my 1989 I had to solder the ground connecting "crimp" fittings at the panel.  

Actually I did even more.  I ran a new ground wire from the batteries to the panel and soldered connectors used at both ends.  This solved a lot of problems, including my mast lights.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

fbien

Thanks for the help, it's a keel stepped mast.

Stu Jackson

On our keel stepped 1986 boat, there is a junction box in the bilge where the wires exit the bottom of the mast.  In addition to checking what's already been suggested, take a look at the wiring inside.  Living in the bilge can lead to corrosion, even though it's supposed to be a watertight box.  It would be a good idea to check that box regularly, or depending on how your boat was wired, any and all of the connections.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

fbien

This was part of the survey... Gotta say, this forum was a major reason I went ahead and bought the boat.  The Sabre needed too much work anyway.  Thanks much.  1986 "Moose" #220.