Oberdorfer Water Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

billhatter

Hey Folks

I discovered this past weekend that my water pump gave up. 1987 Catalina 34. I know that Torresen Marine carries them, can anyone tell me of another source? I would like to shop a little to find the best price.

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull # 459
St. Louis, MO
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Craig Illman

Bill - I've heard on this forum that these guys give good value: http://www.depcopump.com/

Craig

Ron Hill

Bill : Depco will give you a price at least %50 less than any Universal dealer. 
This has been posted in the Mainsheet tech notes, projects, FAQs and the message board.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Bill

A search on oberdorfer finds many, including, this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1876.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

When I bought my new sherwood this spring this place was the cheapest.  They don't list the Oberdorfer on the web site but you might want to give them a call.
http://www.marinepartssource.com  1-866-388-0390
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

billhatter

Thanks for your guidance gentlemen. I ordered a new pump from Depco at less than half the price that Torrensen quoted!

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

crieders

When I was shopping, I was convinced to buy the
Sherwood over the Oberdorfer. Think about it  Cliff c34 tall rig, 1022, 1990
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : I've known people that have been convinced (somehow??) to change to the Sherwood as it supposedly pumps more water. 
In 20 seasons and almost 5000 hrs later you'd be hard pressed to have me give up my Oberdoffer.  It's All brass or stainless and the parts can be purchased at discount!!  Those features can not be found in an Sherwood.  Gaskets/impellers alone will put one in the poor house. 
My engine has always run at about 159F!!!!!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

When I was shopping I was not convinced by anyone else to replace the existing Oberdorfer, I made that decision myself, and was glad I did, because servicing the Sherwood to replace the impeller is reportedly much more difficult because the screws are on the rear of the housing, not in the front of the cover plate. 

It's your boat, it's your choice and the pumps are essentially the same and perform the same function.

BTW, over the years, this "which is a better pump" has been beat to death.  My reason for posting this is that if one has a suggestion that favors a certain piece of equipment over another, I simply feel it would be prudent to explain why, 'specially since the skipper just said he'd bought the pump.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."