solenoid for starters (not glow plugs)

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

Had to bypass the solenoid to get my boat started the other day.  Has anyone ever replaced their solenoid?  I have an '86 with the 25 hrs. engine.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mark : First make sure that the solenoid is infact bad and not just a loose wire, bad connectors/ions or corroded fuse/holder.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

rappareems

Ron,

I started it up today no problem after the batteries charging for a couple of days.  Friend suggests that even a bad ignition switch can be overcome with lots of power, I will check out the wiring and fuse holders as you suggest.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Craig Illman

Mark - I had to replace the start button on my engine panel this winter. It was intermittently failing to work. I'm glad it wasn't the starter. I also did the remote glow plug/starter switch project http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-secondary-starter-switch.html as a backup and to assist "single-handing" bleeding the fuel system.

Craig

Larry Robertie

Quote from: rappareems on July 03, 2007, 11:03:19 AM
Ron,

I started it up today no problem after the batteries charging for a couple of days.  Friend suggests that even a bad ignition switch can be overcome with lots of power, I will check out the wiring and fuse holders as you suggest.

That jogged my mind - earlier this spring I helped the new owner of my old boat (C27) take her up to Maine.  She started fine at the launch, but the next morning when we were getting ready to cast off... nothing.  We brought down a battery pack and... nothing.  Another yard mechanic suggested a strange (to me) remedy - he told us to take  a hammer and tap the starter.

Worked like a charm, that day and the next morning in Portsmouth. 

Seems as though the older starters sort of "catch" and need a little tap to wake 'em up  :shock:   
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Mike Denest

Sounds like the bendix switch in the starter is failing.  You might want to remove the starter and have it tested.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

rappareems

Is there anything unique about replacing the starter button or ignition switch on this engine, or can you get it at NAPA?
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

There's nothing unique about switches "for the engine," since they don't come with the engine, they're separate items that are assembled by Seaward for Catalina.  Napa may not have the stainless model switch, and if I were buying for my boat, I'd use a marine-grade Cole Hersee switch or button available from West Marine.  That said, I have a Ford solenoid for our glow plug solenoid and it's worked fine for 8 years.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rappareems

Thanks Stu, the phone  calls start tomorrow...  Will let you know the upshot of it all...
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

rappareems

Mike, you win the prize.  Bendix switch was hanging up replaced the solenoid ($90.00) and I am in business.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Mike Denest

Cool!  :clap  What'd I win???  The old Bendix?? :D
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Mark : Any time you run into a engine problem always check with your Kubota dealer first.  I'll guess that that solenoid might only be $45 or less.  The sad part about it is that it may be the same identical unit that's sold by Universal. 
On our web site we have the entire parts book for your D950 (M25/25XP). 
I just used it to find an "O" ring to stop an oil leak on the top of my governor control.  Cost - $.41 !!  Might have been able to get it at an auto parts store, but it's metric and I had it in hand when I took the top controls off to take the old one out!! 
I placed that entire engine manual PDF file on a CD.  Looked up the part # and walked in to the Kubota dealer. 
Great stuff on our web site!!  :clap
Ron, Apache #788