Port Salon Leak Revisited

Previous topic - Next topic

leisterf

You may rember that we reported water leaking through a small hole in the head liner directly over the forward port reading lamp.  The water filled the new lamp base and appeared to leak outboard to the teak trim.

It took over 45 minutes of spraying the port side to detect at least one leak on in the chainplate cover.  Fixed that and after it rained two days the area that was leaking was dry.  The chainplate we fixed is about 20" aft of the reading lamp.  

Is it 1)possible the water, leaking through the chainplate hole(not the bolts) could have run down the inside of the headliner, through the little hole, into the inverted lamp base and then when that filled run down on the outside of the headline outboard to the teak trim, or 2) Could the water be going the other way from the chainplate to the teak trim out to the lamp?

Which way from the chainplate is downhill?

Re and Frank Puff #691

leisterf

You are right there was not any caulk on that screw.  Is it better to have it drip out or wick on down to the next opening or just pool up?

Now I have another leak where the breather pipe for the holding tank drops down to make the 90 deg. turn to the tank.  I think the solution to that one is to pull the stanchion up and recaulk the whole base not just the thru bolts?

Stu Jackson

This one is very typical, mostly because people use that one to climb on board.  The access to underneath is not bad through the nav station to the bolts below.  I found it easier to unhook to holding tank vent from the bottom of the stanchion first and then rebedded it, and rehooked up the hose.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."