Removing panel in front of engine Mk 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Fisher

Is there a particular process to remove the panel under the stairway that encloses the front of the engine? I wish to get clear access in and around the engine and can't work out how to get the panel out.

I have removed the 6 philips head screws but find that the panel can only be moved forward about a 1/2 inch before it fouls on the mouldings that run down the edges of the rear cabin and the head. I attempted to slide the panel up, but find that the insulation on the back of the panel interferes with this.

Any instructions and help will be gratefully received.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ross,
First of all, I own a MK 1 but I can't imagine there would be much difference. Are you talking about the standard engine acces pannels? If so, it shouldn't be necessary to remove ANY screws, everything just slides off. First the top steps lift upward, then the flat pannel that those steps were resting on slides forward or just lifts up, then the remaining steps on the botton lift straight up( it fits in a slot on both sides) or are you talking about something else entirely?

Let me know if that helps.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ross Fisher

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
The Panel I'm talking about is the one with the inspection hatch behind the lower steps. It allows frontal access to the engine.
How does this panel come out?
Thanks for your interest.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Ron Hill

Ross : I think the front pannel with the lower 2 steps should just lifts straight up. 
Maybe someone has wedged or screwed it in to keep it from rattling!?!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

ken003

Ross,
I've opened this up several times for electrical upgrades.  I had to remove the hatch board holder (4? screws in the head), then the horizontal panel holding the upper stairs (6 screws with 3 in the head and 3 in the aft cabin), and then the front,vertical panel lifts up and can be removed.  The times I have needed to remove these, I have replaced them without screwing them back in for several days.  The panels and stairs are very solid and sturdy without the screws and allowed me to get in and out until I was completely done.

Ken

Roc

Ross,
To inspect a possible leak, I removed that panel.  3 screws on each side.  I believe the factory varnished the wood after it was installed, which causes panels to remain in place.  Did you try using a very sharp razor to run along the edges to free the panel?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Norris Johnson

Ross,

Mine was a very tight fit also, but I've removed it several times for oil changes, raw water pump changes, etc. I have to remove the screws. Make sure the port side of the panel is all the way against the frame of the engine cover. Then I open the small access door to the engine and pull the starboard side of the panel out. I always hangs up on the moulding. I have to force it by the moulding. I have to go through the same procedure reinstalling the panel.

I hope this helps. I know Catalina changes things, but this is my procedure. So far, I haven't broke anything.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Ross Fisher

Many thanks for your replies.
There are obviously differences between Mk1 and 11's in the assembly of the engine panels.
I have tried every which way to remove the panel without removing the upper horizontal panel and hatch board holders, but just do not have sufficient clearance. ( Although there are only fractions of an inch of interference.) I do not want to risk damaging the varnish or cracking the panel by forcing it.
I wiil take the path suggested by ken003 and then shave the panel so that I can get clearance without taking the whole shebang to pieces next time.

Happy sailing.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
M35B
Melbourne, Australia