Salon Table

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

We very seldom used the Salon table.  Pulled it and the post out this spring.  Love the wide open spaces.  Now that the mosquitos and A/C are forcing us back into the salon we are thinking we need to add some sort of smaller "coffee table".  Anybody got any ideas how to mount one on the mast so I don't have to put the post back in?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sdaly66

Ken,

Without the post installed, I don't think your table will have much support - however small it might be.

Just thinking out loud, but a fold down post built into the bottom of the table should work.  Or one that goes down at a diagonal to some sort of fitting on the mast (a fitting that could be removed easily).

I suppose too that the table could flip up against the mast and be secured when not in use - I've seen this on other boats using a table whose sides fold out not unlike the cockpit table.

I know, scant little help here.  Wish I could contribute more.

Howard Armstrong

Ken, i did this with a small table but cannot figure out how to describe how. it is very stable and easy to do. would a phone call be in order?

Ken Juul

Send your number to kenandvic@cox.net and I'll give you a call.  What time is good?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Susan Ray

I made a smaller table with a 8' -24"wide mahogony board cut in half, dowled, glued, stained teak and satin varnished. You could make a smaller version using the existing table leg. Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Bob Kuba

18 x 32 seems to be a good size.

I crafted this table from an old formica table,
glued a sheet of birch plywood to the top,
glued teak corners & rails to the sides,
and stained it to match the cabin interior.

You can still seat 4 for dinner, if the plates & helpings are small. :)

Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Phil Spicer

Bob, What is the black rectangle in the v berth? A door?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ken Juul

Thanks for the ideas.  Trying to get away from using the existing post if possible.  On the back burner, Admiral can't make up her mind....table or open space.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

dave davis

Hi Bob Kuba and Rainbow, I am not interested in a smaller table because when I go on distant races I need the space for several crew.
My problem is, I lost the foam cushion that fits for sleeping on the table. Please don't ask how I lost it. Anyway, if you still have the old cushion that fits a 1988 vintage, I would be interested in buying it, Especially the blue one that Bob has. The cost may be better than starting from scratch. I keep "Wind Dragon" in SF. My Phone is 650-948-3461, whats yours?
Thanks, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Susan Ray

Aloha Dave, I still have the cushion, stored on land at my sisters in Kaaaawa, Oahu. The cost of shipping would be more than making a new one otherwise you are welcome to it. Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Bob Kuba

Phil,

That black rectangle is one of two inlets for the air conditioner mounted under the v-berth.
Port side ducting has outlets in the main salon, head, and aft cabin. Starboard side ducting has outlets in the v-berth, and main salon. Sorry for the tardy reply, I've been out cruising.

Bob
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

DougP

Two comments:

We called around and had a smaller Corian table and matching stove top cover made. I want to say it was $200 or so. Love the smaller size, and love the Corian. Hot pans or spills are no worry and they look great.

Second comment is about that filler cushion. Hate the thing. Always in the way, so I try to leave it at home. When it's at home I need it for a guest. The foam in it is also much healthier than the other cushions so it's not a good place to sleep.

For the number of times it's actually used, I would love to have a nylon inflatable cushion. Leave it tossed under the V or wherever until I need it. Then blow it up.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington